Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Meatloaf, stuffed w Cream Cheese and Glazed with Cumberland Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Meatloaf, stuffed w Cream Cheese and Glazed with Cumberland Sauce

Alright folks, the weekend is here, let's cook something simple yet tasty. I did a classic meatloaf, but skipped the bacon wrap (not that there's anything wrong with it )

Flavors
    Instead I decided to stuff it with cream cheese. And Cumberland sauce is superb for a glaze. It is a black/red-currant jam/sauce, with some lemon in it. The cream cheese and cumberland complements each other so well!

Cooking time
    1 hour (40-50 minutes smoke, 10 minutes glaze)

Serves: 4-6 people

Gear
    I smoked it on my Big Green Egg. I added a few chunks of cherry wood for good smoke flavor.

Ingredients
    1 kilo (2.2 lbs) ground beef
    1 tsp table salt
    1 jar (230 grams / 8 oz) Cumberland sauce
    1 packet (200 grams / 7 oz) Philadephia cream cheese
    1-2 tbsp bbq rub (I used Oakridge secret weapon pork & chicken)

Instructions
    Mix the salt into the ground beef. Split the ground beef in two halves. Shape one half into a rectangular shape and make an indent about 1/2 inch deep with a 1/2 inch edge all around.

Fill the bottom half with the Philadelphia cheese. Make sure it’s even.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Meatloaf-stuffing.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	657388

Make the other half of the beef into a rectangular shape the same size as the bottom half. Now place it on top and seal it with your hands all around. This is to avoid the cheese leaking out.

Name:	Meatloaf-sealed.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	657386

Now sprinkle your favorite bbq rub all over the loaf.

Name:	Meatloaf-rub.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	657387

Place the loaf in a disposable aluminum pan. There will be some juices leaking out, and with a pan you don’t loose it (or have to clean your grill). If it is a snug fit, trim down the edges/walls of the pan so there’s 1/2 inch left. This is to get a nice crust all the way down.

Smoke
    Run your grill/smoker at 140 deg C / 280 deg F. No need to go low 'n slow. Crust is more important here.
    Smoke for 40 minutes roughly. When meat temp is 55-58 deg C (131-136 deg F), open the lid and both vents. Let that fire get roaring hot.

Glaze (x2)
    In the meantime, brush a liberal layer of Cumberland sauce on the meatloaf. Close the lid and let the sauce caramelize for 5 minutes. Now open the lid and apply a second layer of sauce. Let it caramelize 5 more minutes.

The loaf is done when the internal temp is 65 deg C (150 deg F). Don't let it go higher, or you will risk a dry meatloaf.

Bring it in and let it cool off for 5 minutes on the kitchen counter.

There will be some sauce left, serve it on the table. Looking for sides? Broccoli is great with this meatloaf!

Have a smokin' weekend all!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Meatloaf.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.73 MB ID:	656879
    Last edited by Henrik; March 30, 2019, 12:50 AM. Reason: Added photos

Looks great Henrik. Ya got me thinkin'... I might give this a try tonight, but, (of course), my take on it.

The meat part will have sauteed peppers, onions, and garlic in it. I will stuff with cheese - type to be determined. I will cover with a tomato sauce with some herbs in it - to be determined. I might add some chopped mushrooms to the meat too.

Still thinkin'....

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, any smoked meatloaf is good, if you ask me. Thinking of what to cook later tonight is always better with your favorite libation. Looking forward to what you come up with!

Whoa, never would have thought cream cheese would work with meatloaf, but it looks great! I just smoked meatloaf last night, and the only thing i disagree with here is the broccoli side. Homemade mashed potatoes is the only way to go with meatloaf.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      To each his own, taters are great in my book too! I can highly recommend the cream cheese, it really takes this classic to a new level. And the Cumberland sauce on top? Boom!

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole were always a big favorite with the staff and our guest diners when I was cooking at our local soup kitchen.

Henrik, thanks for the recipe. I smoke meatloafs all the time because it's one of the wifes favorites. I will show her the recipe and probably give it a go. And I am lucky! She likes both broccoli & mashed potatoes so I can incorporate the best of both worlds, lol!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, let me know what you think!

I just learned something new. I had never heard of Cumberland Sauce.

Comment

Sounds and looks great! You indicated not to put the rub on the bottom of the meatloaf. Why was that? Just curious.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a practical one: I found it difficult to flip over without having it fall apart :-)

• NapMaster
        NapMaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Roger that Henrik Common sense prevails.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Henrik
        Next time you might want to consider sprinkling some rub on the plate before you lay down the lower half or sprinkling the rub on what will be the down side of the lower half before you put it on the plate.

NapMaster
        Last edited by gcdmd; April 9, 2019, 09:18 AM.

That looks awesome, Henrik! And you've got me thinking. I just might try substituting already-cooked garlic mashed potatoes (perhaps with sauteed mushrooms) for the cream cheese (and of course serve broccoli on the side).

Stomach just growled ...
      Last edited by MBMorgan; March 29, 2019, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Garlic mash: excellent!

Nice....you just got nominated my friend !!!!

Comment

Thank you Troutman! I gotta say: this is very simple (food doesn’t need to be complex either), but the flavors go very well together. Let me know if you need more photos of the making of it.

Comment

• jgreen
          jgreen commented
          Editing a comment
          Photos are always welcome.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Done deal, more photos added.

This one is a two'fer for me. I have never heard of anyone smoking meatloaf. Throw in the cream cheese and it's WOW! what a great idea. I think the broccoli is a great side. I love the potato idea but my diet has me eating more veggies with the potatoes saved for special occasions or when I give into cravings.

Comment

My God that looks good.

Comment

Looks Delicious, Brother!

Thanks fer th ideas, as well!

Comment

Sorry Henrik. I had several things going while cookin' dinner and forgot to take photos. It turned out great, but I did add a bit of chili powder to the tomato sauce as well as garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, Italian seasoning, soy sauce, and butter.

I'm thinkin' I must have dreamed this because there is no photographic proof...

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Did this really happen?

I can totally see the cream cheese and Cumberland sauce going together. Is it the smoke or the ground beef that goes more with the cream cheese? I’m thinking the cheese plats very well with the smoke and glaze?

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, the smooth cheese with the smoke flavor, and some sweetness from the sauce.

Thanks for this! I've never heard of Cumberland sauce, but after checking out some recipes for it, it sounds like I've been missing out. I'll try this one fer shure.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here