Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

jimmyz's Cow Ribs and Criola Salsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jimmyz's Cow Ribs and Criola Salsa

I tried new member jimmyz 's Argentinian beef ribs and salsa recipe yesterday and it was fantastic! I've never cooked flanken cut ribs before this, but they are now firmly in the rotation.

I wanted to experiment a little so I ordered 6 lbs of ribs cut 1/2" thick. Dry brined the whole mess with KS for 24hrs, then dusted roughly half with S&P (per the recipe), then split the remainder with Hank's Bonafide and a sweet/spicey soy based marinade.

I fired up Maria with a chimney of kbb then added a load of oak splits. There was too much meat for a single cook so I went with the Hank's first as the initial trial and served them to our guests as an appetizer. I cooked them for about 10 min a side, then cut them between the bones into nice bite-sized pieces. They came out very good, but could have used a little more time on the grill.

Then came the main flight 'o meat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Flanken ribs.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.25 MB ID:	655122

The fire was perfect and I ran them for about 12 min per side. These came out wonderfully and we couldn't decide which we liked better. It was agreed that these are best eaten by cutting into individual pieces and using your fingers to hold them by the bone like a chip with a dollop of the Salsa Criolla. The 4 of us devoured all but about 5 pieces.

This is a very versatile cut of meat that you could do a lot of fun things with. Great with simply S&P, but it would take any kind of marinade or beef rub. I will try them cut 3/4" next time, but the 1/2" made for a nice quick cook. Open fire on an asador is the traditional way to cook these, but the Santa Maria grill worked very well. I'm sure they would be great in just about any cooker over direct heat. Next time, in addition to the Salsa Criolla I'll make a batch of chimichurri sauce as well. We didn't have any chorizo, morcilla or Fernet, but the side salad, steamed artichokes, and Petit Verdot were nice accompaniments.

Thank you jimmyz for sharing this dish with us! Here's a link to her original post with additional pics: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-salsa-criolla
    Last edited by CaptainMike; March 25, 2019, 11:38 AM.

Thanks for the review. I have this pretty high up in the upcoming rotation too.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      It was a lot of fun to cook, especially over the open fire. Looking forward to your review as well.

Cool, I'm gonna have to try this. When looking at the picture a little closer I notice you have GrillGrates(tm) instead of ...errr... grill grates? I guess the former stop flames from shooting up. Do you have 'regular' grill grates for that grill too?

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it came with a standard expanded metal grate, but I picked up the GG's when they had their factory seconds sale recently. Flare-ups aren't much of an issue with this grill, but the conductivity of the GG's changes how you cook a little. But, that's what that crank handle on the right is for.
      Last edited by CaptainMike; March 25, 2019, 01:35 PM.

Wow grill grates on a Santa Maria, interesting, I'll have to experiment with that !!!

I haven't done flankens in quite a while, may try them again. They cook up fast and the wife loves them. They too are a great candidate for the Woody's/Wishbone mopping sauce !!! Good work !!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      W/W mopping, sounds like round 2 at my house!

Thanks for the review , looks . I will have to make some of those .

Comment

They sound great.

Comment

That looks delicious. We have been doing the thinner cut flankens for Korea BBQ on the little Lodge, but I am going to search for thicker cut style and give it a go. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Salute.

Comment

Try using a thicker cut next time. Too thin tends to dry out for me. If more than 1 1/2" always cook bone side down. probably 75-80% of the cook is bone side down, then flip to finish.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the tips! I was hoping you would chime in.

Kudos to you and jimmyz aka Jimena from Argentina. I sure like your grill.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you my friend! I love cooking on it and look for every opportunity to do so. Right now it's corralled by an 8" dump of snow that came in today, but I'll work my way to it in short order.

• NapMaster
              NapMaster commented
              Editing a comment
              Bummer on that snow CaptainMike. I've never seen 8" of snow except on TV. We're more likely to see 8" of rain. Thankfully the rain runs off by itself.

CaptainMike thanks for the review and thanks to jimmyz for the recipe. This is the first I’ve heard of the flanken cut ribs. I’m afraid my store’s butcher will look at me cross eyed if I ask for it. Was the cut easy for you to get?

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes it was. I think it is also called Korean style ribs. My butcher knew right off what I meant. As Ahumadora mentioned get them a little thicker than 1/2". After his comment I may try them 1" thick next time.

• Willard
              Willard commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok. Thanks. After I zoomed in I saw how they were cut. Shouldn’t be a big deal. Maybe I need a bone saw.

Awesome CaptainMike !!! Congrats for your first asado! Looks delicious!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here