Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Lengua - Experiment the Third

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Lengua - Experiment the Third

So I've been playing around with smoked lengua lately, ever since Ahumadora said something about it. So far I've done a couple different Sous-Vide and then smoked. This time I thought I'd go with a more traditional initial preparation and simmer it on the stove. For hours.

And then a little voice said "Hey, dummy! You've got one of those InstantPot thingies!".

Yeah, I do. Thank you little voice.

So I threw a 4 lb. tongue in the IP with half a quartered onion, some smashed garlic cloves, two bay leaves, salt, black pepper, water (about a quart), and Knorr Beef Bullion powder (1 TBSP? About that). High pressure for 50 minutes, natural release.

After it was done it was time to peel it:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4190.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	653101

The skin peeled right off, as expected. Oddly the two I did SV the skin did not peel of easily. No idea why. After chilling it in an ice bath I rubbed it with Pit Barrel Beef And Game rub and got it on the kettle. This will also make fantastic lengua tacos right now. InstantPot wins again!

Name:	IMG_4191.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	653104

Smoked it for about 3.5 hours @250 with a mostly full load of Weber briqs, a few lumps of cherry, and a full water trough. Ended up being about 170 IT because the bark took a while to set.

Name:	IMG_4192.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	653103

That, my friends, is a smoked lengua. Time to cut it up.

Name:	IMG_4193.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	653105

Super juicy, except for the very tip. And that smoke ring: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4194.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	653106

I guess cold meat really does take smoke better. Look at it:

Name:	IMG_4195.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	653102

And then I cubed it up and went to bed, because it was almost 2AM.

Name:	IMG_4196.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	653108

This is a winner, folks. Just doing the tongue in the InstantPot cuts hours off of the traditional stovetop way, and as good as the SV lenguas both were (both fantastic), this was better. It's juicier and has better flavor than the SV had, takes less time, and is gloriously good.

Seriously

Name:	IMG_4197.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	653107

So good.

I have 2 more in the pastrami brine for a bbq class Sunday. Try it like that. Slice then sear on a hotplate before serving on a fresh bun. There are 2 fatty glands each side of the tongue. Remoe those.
    Attached Files

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      So does the skin just peel off after the pastrami brine? Or do you cook it and then peel the skin?

Sorry, but the idea of eating something that could lick me back is kind of creepy. I do say that tongue in cheek.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Its a cow. It can't turn around and lick it's butt, they are not that flexible. Wait till Troutman puts this recipe on the site. Excellent eating

I have never been able to mentally process eating tongue. I love the idea of trying to use everything from the animal, I just can't get my head around it...

Comment

I tried tongue when I was 7-8 years old. It wasn't terrible but I was not impressed. I would try it again.

Can't lick their butts like a dog or cat. It does make a good tool for cleaning their own nose and occasionally their friend's butt. No worries, that is what the fire is for.

Comment

I'd lick that!

Comment

No. Just no.

Comment

I LOVE lengua tacos. Excellent beef flavor. Get them at this gem of a restaurant. https://www.elcaminoreal01.com/

Comment

I like lengua tacos but don't ever see myself making them. They're a nice change every so often at the taco cart.

Comment

Heres your pastrami lengua! Went so fast I didnt get a piece.
                Attached Files

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                  ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I went to middle school in Germany, cold cow tongue sandwiches completely turned me off... but this picture has me reconsidering!

Another rookie question…why do you cube the meat after smoking?

Comment

• mnavarre
                  mnavarre commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Tacos!

Outstanding! Thanks again!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here