Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket w/no stall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket w/no stall?

I’ve noticed smoking in my Backwoods Chubby G2 I don’t seem to get a stall on brisket or any other large piece of meat. The temperature just continually climbs to the appropriate temperature. Then I read something the other day about a guy that doesn’t stall because he has a high humidity level, or something like that. I’m wondering if because of the huge water pan and high humidity level in the chubby this is happening for me as well. What do you guys think?

I’ve attached my latest smoke session. You can see the brisket steadily climbing till I pull it out
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wcpreston; March 20, 2019, 11:43 AM.

I had one that didn't stall and it was 50 degrees out and no humidity.

of course, I run at 275 and don't inject or leave a probe in the entire time like most, so who knows?

Comment

I did a 14# full packer overnight last summer that barely stalled. It was very humid that night.

The evaporation process cools the meat surface (and people). High humidity minimizes the evaporation process, so it only makes sense it would impact the stall.

I think I was sweating more than the brisket, was having over friends for the first time to try my BBQ! The lack of a stall messed up my timeline, I wound up holding it in a faux cambro for nearly five hours. Still came out great. My friend's daughter (that doesn't like red meat) LOVED IT! When he asked her why she didn't like the meat he cooks, her answer was they don't taste this good! I made chicken for her (and the wife, she doesn't dislike red meat, just eats very little of it). I had more chicken left over at the end of the meal than brisket!

Comment

I think it has as much to do with the cut of meat as well. Not every brisket is created the same. Think about all the variables; thickness, amount of moisture within the meat, the amount of inter and intramuscular fat, the fat cap or lack thereof all play a roll. If you are not getting any stalls than good for you, that's a major plus !!!

Comment

I can't wait to start graphing my cooks. I had a 15 pound full packer hit 205 internal in 8 hours in the pellet, uncovered the whole way.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah 10hrs and done is pretty common with mine as well.

I have had this happen before as well. For one, it might be that piece of meat, some just cook different than others, as Troutman has said.

Also, if you are cooking at 250 F that will shorten up the stall as well. I am not sure how much airflow the Chubby has, but if it has a lot of airflow, it will make a stall very short or non existent.

Comment

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            I did notice I had much less of a stall on the last briskets I cooked on my Ranch Kettle compared to what I usually see on my 22 inch kettle. There is a lot more air moving through the Ranch than the 22. Not sure if it was the airflow or the particular pieces of meat or what. Guess I will need to get some more briskets and do some more testing.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            JoeSousa I think that's why the bigger pellet poopers have very little, if any, stall time. At least that's been the case with mine.

I had one once that didn't stall, in fact it went alarmingly quick, and that was in a very dry environment in a stickburner. I agree that it's a combo of your unique piece of meat plus very likely the higher humidity of the Chubby. You could notice any outlier in any cooker, but chances are in a sealed cabinet, electric, or even a PBC your chances of a brief to non-existent stall would likely go way up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here