Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much can a brisket weigh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much can a brisket weigh

I stop at a Wally World (Wal-Mart) in Amarillo, Tx today to get some groceries for the truck. So I went to the meat dept. to check out the prices on their brisket and holy behold there was the biggest brisket that I have ever seen. It weigh 22 1/2 lbs. and the cost was $77 and some change. If I was on my way home I would have bought that bad boy which brings me to my next question. How long will a brisket keep in ths fridge?

Usually for cryovaced fresh meat, there is a packed-on date, and they're usually good for 28-30 days (roughly) past that in the fridge. They call this 'wet aging'. Some have made the mistake of trying to wet age meat past the sell-by date, never do that!

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, I have a fridge in the truck and will be home on March 6. I thought about buying that big boy but wasn't sure how long it would keep.
      Last edited by DWCowles; February 22, 2015, 09:37 PM.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      DWCowles You'd have been good doing that. If you find another, go for it! Jerod will guide you through the brisket process if you get one. I've done them on my offset too so I can tell you what I know.

I have found that as you inch closer to 20 pounds, by the time you get the unneeded fat off, you are already down half of your original weight. I had a 19.91 pounder that weighed 10 pounds after fat trimming. Yield on that dude made my sick.

Huskee I don't mind going past the sell-by date. I try to go 30 days after I buy, regardless of sell-by. I figure it makes it to the store in a matter of less than 10 days after packing, and I wouldn't hesitate to wet-age 45 days after the packing date.

In fact I have one now that is getting wet aged to about March 13th, with a March 11th sell-by date. If anything you get extra growth of any untrimmed fungus like organisms.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 22, 2015, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod, what does wet aging do to a brisket?
      Last edited by DWCowles; February 22, 2015, 09:38 PM.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      It allows the enzymes in the meat to star breaking things down a little. My best result was 2 Choice full packers, both went close to 40 days after purchase . No idea on packing date. Both had a black spot on top the point fat. That spot expanded, and if you got close enough to it, it really reaked . But you had to really smell-check 'em to know they were bad, and they obviously both got trimmed off. Briskets were fully cooked, cooled, chilled, reheated for 4 hours, rested another 2.75 hours in a cambro, and were still VERY juicy upon slicing.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 23, 2015, 09:22 AM.

Jerod Broussard We had a member a month or two ago who tried to wet age steaks (I think?), whatever it was, it was past the sell-by date and they were spoiled, that's why I mention that. Cryovaced might be different, but if a packed-on date isn't listed you should try to ask the butcher if he/she knows the packing date. I would never age steaks or a roast in the foam tray with plastic over it, only cryovac, but again I would look for or ask the butcher about the actual packing date if it's not listed. I asked my local grocery store butcher about some sell-by dates on briskets and he said they have to put a sell-by, but since it was close to it's packing date (like you mention) they were still plenty safe to wet age a couple more weeks.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I would never try to wet-age steaks, or anything that has been further processed.

I have done a couple of briskets Huskee. Here the last one that I did.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry for the small pics I'm on the iPhone

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah, memories are coming back, I thought you hadn't yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here