Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choice Rib Eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choice Rib Eye?

BJ's had whole boneless rib-eye roast in cryovac for a very good price. They were only USDA choice. Has anybody had any experience with USDA choice that would help me decide whether to give this a shot?

DEW

I wouldn't hesitate at all to get a Choice ribeye roast, in fact that's the best we can ever find where I live. Never any prime in stores.

Comment

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      Dew first time I have heard anyone say "ONLY" USDA Choice. LOL that is all we have.

"ONLY" USDA Choice. That's prime where I am here in east Texas.

Comment

If I buy it, I would cut it into steaks. I might consider giving one of the dry-aging bags a shot.

DEW

Comment

Dewesq55 I have been watching for good prices on NYStrip loins to do the same. I missed the boat on the sale of them recently. Now all they have are Select loins, in which I am not interested. Choice? Heck yeah!

Comment

Huskee, thanks for getting me thinking straight.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Just save a couple for when I come down to go fishing with ya!

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a deal, Huskee

I've been wanting to get a ribeye roast to make prime rib but it will go to waste bc the wife and grandkids won't eat any meat that is pink. It has to be well done

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Buy yourself a prime rib roast. Slice most into steaks, but save a chunk that
            is big enough for you, your wife, and the grandkids. Smoke it to YOUR preferred doneness, take it out and carve. Throw your wife's and grandkids on the grill and grill it until it is well done. Everybody gets what they want. Only draw back is it's an expensive piece of beef, but it may be the price you need to pay to get that great piece of medium rare prime rib! You'll also get a bunch of great steaks!

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Dr ROK

• Guy
            Guy commented
            Editing a comment
            DW I know what you mean that sucks. My wife does not eat much meat at all. Just a few bites.

I cook a few dozen rib eyes every day as well as a couple prime ribs. Choice is fine, believe me. CAB is choice too and its reputation(deserved or not) is good. I would buy what you saw in a New York minute! I only buy USDA Prime on real special occasions. I also buy select too, for certain stuff. Buy it, and do the voodoo you do so well.

Comment

Albertsons, a grocery store here in Hermosa Beach, Ca had USDA Choice Ribeye's on sale at $5.88 per pound this week. I bought 50lbs and had the butcher cut them into 2" thick Cowboy Steaks, also known as Tomahawk Steaks. I asked him to wrap 2 per package. https://www.flickr.com/photos/food_p...s/15828191260/

They all weight about 40oz each. So... They each cost about $15 per steak. What do you think that would cost you at a fancy Steakhouse?

Here's the way I grilled them the last time I bought 2" Tomahawk's... On my BGE.
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/food_p...s/16015442705/
            I've learned since the last time I grilled them that I should wrap the bone in tin foil before I put them on the grill... So as to not burn them. They look better on your plate when the bones are close to their natural color.
            Last edited by Breadhead; February 23, 2015, 04:26 AM.

Comment

• Medusa
              Medusa commented
              Editing a comment
              Nicely Done!

I bought a 13 lb.loin of choice ribeyes for $7.29 a lb. at Restaurant Depot when I did my sous vide cook

Comment

Far more important than the grade of meat is care in the preparation. Choice rib roasts come out beautifully. No one notices the grade.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm sure that's correct, Mosca. But I am planning on turning the whole thing into steaks, where I imagine it might matter.

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd do it anyhow, Dewesq55. I've seen a lot of really nice choice ribeye steaks. And from reading your posts, you know how to handle muscle and flame.

Dewesq55, I did the exact same thing with a whole ribeye from Costco a few months ago (there's even a thread around here somewhere). Fabricated the whole thing into about 12 steaks, sealed individually with the FoodSaver and into the freezer. They were quite good. Just this week, I got a NY Strip to do the same thing with.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I envy you guys. Watching the sales with every intent to do the same.

• Medusa
                Medusa commented
                Editing a comment
                This is a great way to get the steak cuts you want and save money. I was real tempted today to get a NY Strip, but grabbed a brisket instead.

FoodSaver Rocks!

I'm just learning, but I think MH's article about Beef Grades doesn't recommend Select ( maybe just in the case of Briskets ).

Mostly I see USDA Choice. Just for fun I followed the "Artisan" link to check out those beef cuts and prices. Beautiful cuts of meat for Beautiful $$$ prices. I don't think #1 would be too thrilled if I ordered some of the bulk - large cuts. Anyway, I'm safe as the big Strube Ranch cuts/briskets are all Out of Stock. The striploin is Waygu.

--Ed

Comment

Everybody needs to try Wagyu/Kobe before they die.

Comment

• Guy
                  Guy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DW I think Candy Sue highly recommends them. If I am not mistaken that is where I got their website.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  On our 10th anniversary dinner my meal was a king cut Wagyu filet from a cloth napkin candle-lit place in Traverse City, MI. I still remember it.... not sure the knife got used much.

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've ordered Tri-Tip and Brisket from SRF/RR. Both were excellent. I think their prices are reasonable given the quality of the meat. It you'll recall Tuffy Stone was also a big fan and gave them a shout out during his seminar on brisket.

Got a question for all of you guys that cut meat into steaks. What do you use to cut them??

Comment

• Guy
                  Guy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Burn that was actually pretty dumb of me. I looked it up on YouTube and even with bones in you cut between them. Duh. I am going to give it a try pretty soon and see how much I save.

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was talking about a boneless whole rib-eye as well

• The Burn
                  The Burn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The difference in price between buying pre-cut steaks and a whole ribeye or sirloin at Costco was at least $2/lb (and a bigger difference than buying steaks elsewhere). And at least for beef, buying one whole was only about 20 cents more per pound than buying a case.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here