Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning For My First Brisket - Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning For My First Brisket - Help Needed

I am making plans for my first brisket and will be using this as my guide. My #1 issue is that the briskets at Sam's I've looked at are too long for my large Big Green Egg by a few inches (probably 2-4"). I did not measure last time I was in but I'm pretty sure they were longer than my cooking grid, which is 18". I need help on where to make the cut (and where not to), or if I will mess it up if I cut it. Thanks in advance. I'm going with a whole packer ($3.88 lb Angus/Choice).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9910.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	65127

I wouldn't cut it if I were you but that's just me. I had a brisket once that was almost 22" long. If you have a V rack or something that you can drape the brisket over is all you need. Even if you have to stuff it into the edges, it will shrink up over time. Looks like a nice piece of meat!! Good luck

Comment

Thanks! Draping it sounds like a plan (saying to myself why didn't I think of that). Much appreciated.

Comment

I would cut a few inches off of the thin end of the flat (opposite from where the point is attached.) BTW, they haven't had much in the way of briskets in my local Sam's. Only the occasional flat or 2.

Comment

I cut mine like this....then trim off all browned meat, hard fat, and take the fat cap on the flat down to 1/8-1/4".

Name:	4briskt1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	65212

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Jerod Broussard, are you cutting off the point end?

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, with those I was slicing, combining, then chopping/grinding together for chopped beef. So no big deal with respect to symmetrical trimming. Made easy work of that fat vein that separates the 2 muscles.

I've never cut a brisket, but that's because the smoker I use for them is my EOS and it's like 4' long, lol. I would adjust accordingly if I had smaller brisket machine.

Comment

• Guy
            Guy commented
            Editing a comment
            Brisket machine. LOL hilarious.

You could also separate the point and flat and cook them apart. If they were still too long, you could use something to prop them on their sides like a rib rack does for ribs.

Comment

cdd315 Huskee Dr ROK Thanks for your help. I'll decide how I will cook my brisket and post pics and results back. The photo above is one I took a week or so ago at Sam's. I'll be going to Sam's in a day or two to see what they've got.

Comment

I cant wait to see how your brisket comes out, it looks like you got a good one. If you are doing it in a big green egg, I believe the best way to cook it would be fat side down.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks (mr.brisket). I've just trimmed and dry brined. Putting it on the BGE tomorrow around midnight - fat side down. This is my first brisket. Will post pictures probably on Sunday.

Ok, put my first brisket (14 lb packer before trimming) on my Big Green Egg just before midnight (grill ~225). It hit the ~150 stall at around 5 am. Tightly wrapped with double foil and it's up to 173 at 7am. Looking forward to dinner!

Name:	IMG_0064.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	66986

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	66987
              Last edited by fuzzydaddy; February 28, 2015, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Medusa
                Medusa commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here