Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-tip hot and fast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-tip hot and fast?

I have a tri-tip that is an inch thick at the thickest part. im figuring to just maybe do this hot and fast with a lot of flipping. anybody had a similar scenario?

EDIT: Tri-tip came from porterroad.com and it was delicious as all hell JoeSousa
    Last edited by grantgallagher; March 16, 2019, 07:15 PM.

It's just a big steak, no need to overthink it. Something that thin I'd probably just sear until I get the crust right and then move it off if it still needs to finish. That's pretty much how they do it in Santa Maria anyway.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      mnavarre awesome. Being an east coaster this is actually the first time im cooking tri-tip and never done santa maria. I am very familiar with the forward/anti-reverse sear though so ill rock it that way.

Thank you!

I reverse sear or SV my TT's. Usually RS, I really like that wall-to-wall medium rare look. For an interesting cook do a L&S like you would a chuck roast, but get one with a lot of marbling.

Comment

I also reverse sear and it comes out great every time (so far). I smoke it first until it gets to 115-120F, then pat it dry, oil it and sear until thinner part is 135-140 for my wife's portion.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	EDADF920-E0A3-42D0-8493-D6D011FD3FFA.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.84 MB ID:	651073 The plan was to reverse sear but this one was thinner than expected. So im going hot and fast. Gonna sear on open coals then move to far side of flipped grill grates and flip a lot. Using slow and sear on the right to hold the coals but i figure more than enough heat is gonna get picked up by those grates

Click image for larger version  Name:	3EB23006-278A-4D49-82B2-171F2F9C41E5.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.78 MB ID:	651074

Last edited by grantgallagher; March 16, 2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CF262EE5-51AC-4304-9732-1DE2D76EB2ED.jpeg
Views:	365
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	651083

Fast it was indeed

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	955DA9B7-96E8-452C-BC8C-A1B6B144F71F.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	651098

Comment

Hot and fast worked well. Maybe 20-30 min cook total and i might be overestimating. Rub was just mccormick grill mates brazilian steakhouse cause its kinda good...lol. I did dry brine for 24 hours in the fridge. the rub was done with a little oil and whoostahowyouspellthat sauce.

side is fried rice and veggies done with riced cauliflower instead of actual rice.

overall...ur gonna really have to convince me to cook tri-tip a different way because this rocked
              Last edited by grantgallagher; March 16, 2019, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Fire in the hole!! And slice it up. All good there evidenced by the photo. I have done tri tip a million ways. Even over cooked some prime that was still delicious. As some one above said. It just a big steak. ✅

edit. Made some real bad ones too. Ate them
                anyway.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                  grantgallagher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This was my first one HouseHomey and if anything id go a tad rarer. My wife, love of my life, on the other hand was fussy on it being undercooked. Im 35 this year, figure i still have time to bring her to the good side, lol

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @granthallagher For rarer... tri tips are great for a haphazard low n slow in a lazy kinda way. If your cooking a little hotter, ooops no biggie! Slow-ish works. We know hot n fast make edible meat. Slower is a bonus. You pick where. I love that stuff. For the well done ones dice smaller and put in tacos/taquitos,torta/ nachos etc...

It's a thick steak, and it's all about how you slice it at the end. Too many people don't figure that out. I rotisserie mine over the weber with some red oak chips for flavor, and then sear it at the end. From the pictures, looks like you nailed it!

Comment

Nice looking cook, Grant! Have you tried brushing with beef love before and during the cook. It goes along way, especially with Tri-tip and its bold, beefy flavor. I think TT might be my favorite steak to use it on.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                    grantgallagher commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spinaker no, i havent. I have a whole bunch of tallow that i need to render first. Then we will be in business!

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Do it up man! grantgallagher

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here