Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Bacon? Had to try it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Bacon? Had to try it.

They say its brisket. Stand by for an update.

Very interesting. Keep us posted.

Comment

Jon Solberg Isn't bacon supposed to come from the Belly? I will be interested to hear the results Jon.

Comment

Lets just its interesting.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          The folks at the counter said it was a lightly smoked thin sliced brisket. I fried it like bacon. It has a bit of a sour taste but one that is not offensive.

I'm not a brisket guy. Does this look like brisket?

It looks like they sliced and took part of that deckle of fat that separates the point and the flat. The larger, less striated piece being the flat. Left part in the top picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	65115
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 22, 2015, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice job Jerod!

My buddy used to do that in his restaurant, except it was smoked packers. He'd slice just about like that and fry them with a little butter on the griddles and press them. Made them as a side for breakfasts plus in omelets as "brisket bacon".

Comment

Thanks for the redirect and the wayfinding pic!

Comment

If you are making 'bacon' from bellies of cows, you are part way to Pastrami. yeah, there are more steps to Pastrami but it is basically the beef belly just as bacon is the pork belly. this, sliced brisket 'bacon' sounds interesting. Is it cured & smoked the same way bacon is?

Comment

Originally posted by Karon Adams View Post
              If you are making 'bacon' from bellies of cows, you are part way to Pastrami. yeah, there are more steps to Pastrami but it is basically the beef belly just as bacon is the pork belly. this, sliced brisket 'bacon' sounds interesting. Is it cured & smoked the same way bacon is?
              If you're asking me, it was just a normal smoked brisket packer, slicing the flat really thin and frying. Non-cured just smoked.

Comment

Looks like Schmacon,
                I heard about this on the Bob & Tom radio show awhile back, this one looks to be cured and smoked.
                definitely sounds interesting.

Comment

Hmmm... Real bacon is to good to mess with. Somebody was thinking too hard! Must have been imbibing the hooch...

Something you didn't know... The word Hooch was originated by sourdough bread makers. The bacteria in a natural yeast produces alcohol and co2. If a sourdough starter is not fed properly the alcohol(Hooch) builds up. Rumor has it that the goldminers during the gold rush used to drink the hooch.
                  Last edited by Breadhead; February 26, 2015, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I generally agree with this. The exception would be if you have dietary restrictions such as keeping kosher. There is a kosher product called "beef fry" which is essentially beef bacon. They don't call it beef bacon since the term "bacon" has the appearance of impropriety for very orthodox jews. This is called "maris ayan." Ok. End of lesson that nobody wanted to learn in the first place. . . carry on!

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I see your point clearly. We must respect their traditions. Plus... More bacon for us heathen's.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here