Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice making corned beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice making corned beef

Im doing a full packer, following MH recipe. I would like to know how much ingredients to add..Ive done my calculations for the pragues following Blonders chart. I have 7lb 6.4 ounces of beef. Do I double the ingredient list since its almost double beef?

It depends on how much liquid you need to submerge it. Make sure to use the calculator for the PP1 amount, using however much liquid it takes to submerge your meat, this is mandatory and can't be changed (shouldn't be anyway, to be safe). All other ingredients simply multiply up (or down) from the amount in the recipe & its liquid, to the amount of liquid you need to use. The only time the amount of beef you have matters is for curing, the PP1 and the curing time. All others just scale up or down as needed.

Comment

I would also suggest that you consider splitting the point from the flat and cure separately to provide more surface area available for the cure.

Comment

Double check your time in the brine according to Meatheads curing chart, you may fall short if this is to be consumed on St. Patricks day (March 17 ). As far as scaling and doubling,( I'm assuming pickling spice ) I think you can adjust as necessary, trying to keep the concentration of spices consistent in the brine.

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Also, since the pickling spice is there for flavor, not for curing, you have a lot of flexibility and can adjust for personal taste as you gain experience.

I second separating the point and flat. You will cut your cure time considerably and can also get rid of a bunch of that gummy fat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here