Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corned Beef soak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corned Beef soak?

I’m making Meathead’s corned beef from a packer flat that is soaking in cure. I’ve read that if you’re making pastrami to rinse and soak in water for 8 hours and change the water so it is not too salty. Does the same apply to making corned beef? Seems like a silly question but I’ve only read to rinse it prior to simmering in water and don’t see that it should be soaked for 8hrs.

Welcome aboard! Good question. No, if you cook it the traditional way anyway. Corned beef being boiled will desalinate adequately and make a flavorful broth. But when simply smoking for pastrami there's no solution to pull the salt out, so desalinating is mandatory.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly. Smoking it will actually concentrate the sodium as the water evaporates and the salt does not. BTW, that broth is great to cook cabbage in, as I am sure you are well aware.

Welcome from Winnipeg. I just did one for pastrami. Only desalinated two hours instead of Meatheads recommended 8 hours, but the salt level was fine for me. I would agree, corned beef is probably fine, desalinate for pastrami.

Comment

Thanks for the advice-much appreciated.

Comment

Does the desalination apply even if you made the corned beef using recipes here, versus store bought corned beef?

I ask as I plan to try my hand at corning a couple of chucks for pastrami.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
          SmokeyGator commented
          Editing a comment
          Soak and change the water for pastrami. Store bought corned beef or cure it yourself, both use a lot of salt. For boiled corned beef it isn’t necessary. You can if you want, but it’s just extra steps. I tried pastrami without soaking first and it’s salty enough to get very offended on the internet.

I'd soak it tonight in fresh water, then pat it down and then put the rub on in the morning. Let it sit for 24 hours if possible. First time I made it, my fellow BBQ buddies dropped their jaws. It was amazing.

Comment

Don't bother to pre-soak your corned beef before making pastrami. I mean a little salt ain't gonna hurt ya ......

Comment

Troutman ,

K.

Comment

Now that you got an answer to your question I just want to add a welcome to the Pit.

Comment

Got my 5lb 4 0z flat corning right now according to meatheads procedure. I will divide for corned beef and pastrami on Sunday. I've followed Meatheads recipe for several years and it has turned out perfect. Good luck and enjoy.

Comment

I'm on sodium restricted diet so I soak over night in plain water.. Then, when I simmer it I let it go for 30 minutes then change the water and finish the cook. I do the same thing whether I'm gunning for corned beef (a fav) or take it the extra step to pastrami. I'm so used to the lack of salt that it tastes really good to me.

Comment

• macsmokehouse
                    macsmokehouse commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Is it possible to over do it when desalinating?

• PappyBBQ
                    PappyBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, for me, no. Now my wife and kids tend to add a touch of finishing salt to their helpings. But like I said, I'm so used to restricting sodium that I've gotten past the "gotta add salt" stage and food tastes great without it.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here