Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Corned Beef made from the Brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is Corned Beef made from the Brisket?

Looked a little bit on the inter web and couldn’t find the answer. I’m sure somebody here knows the history or can point me in the right direction.

Also has anybody ever "Corned" another cut of beef?

Hello ssandy,
    We used to corn bottom rounds as well. Some of our customers preferred the no fat option. I never tried one, but it seemed to work for those who asked for it...

Comment

• bradjo222
      bradjo222 commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you ever corn a hole??? Hahahahahha!

Lots of people use navel. Katz in NY does. Wife was just there the other day.
    Attached Files

Comment

Boar's Head sells a pastrami made from top round, which I assume is a corned product before being made into pastrami. I'm gonna guess that tougher cuts were generally the ones corned for preservation (and tenderizing?) purposes; it'd be a damn shame to corn a rib-eye, f'rinstance.

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        Or would it be the best tasting Corned Beef you’ve ever eaten?

Here's another idea: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...rami-perfected

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Short rib pastrami is awesome

I can't remember who it was, but I saw a video recently of someone corning some chuck roast and using it to make pastrami.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I posted here recently on a very well marbled chucky I corned and then turned into pastrami. It turned out great. No video though...

• jumbo7676
        jumbo7676 commented
        Editing a comment
        I must have missed that post, but love the idea. Might have to head to Costco sometime soon to get a couple of their two-packs of chucks to pull one, make burnt ends from one, corned beef from one, and pastrami from one. I've done the first two, interested to try the other two.

Just wait till y'all get a taste for beef tongue pastrami!
      Attached Files

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        I love beef tongue and i love this idea. 100% this is happening and 100% im not telling the wife its tongue until after she tries it.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman is going to break down and try this recipe soon. I just got to keep twisting his arm or tongue.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually had an aunt that cooked and loved to eat tongue. She braised it. Pastrami out of it might be interesting !!

Yeah, There it is! Diga!

Comment

Here's a quote from Meathead's article on pastrami on the free side of the site, to answer your question about a little history;

What is pastrami (i.e. corned beef versus pastrami)?

Culinary historians believe the highly seasoned, smoked, juicy, bright pink beef in a dark robe, was invented by poor Jews in schtetls (a Yiddish to English dictionary is below) in Romania where it may have been made from goose or duck meat. Today some avant garde chefs are returning to that tradition, even making it from salmon, turkey, or other cuts of beef, like round. Without refrigeration, meat spoiled quickly, so they rubbed it heavily with salt and pepper and other spices, and smoked it. This both tenderized it, flavored it, and helped it keep longer. Today, most pastrami is made from beef brisket or navel (a.k.a. plate), tough, stringy, fatty, cheap cuts. The process turns it tender and succulent.

Some say beef pastrami was first made in the US by an immigrant kosher butcher, Sussman Volk, in 1887, but that date is disputed by the owners of Katz's which opened in 1888. Katz's is the oldest deli in the nation, and a haimish New York landmark. If you have never been there, make the schlep to 205 E. Houston St. (pronounced HOW-stun) right after you get off the boat from the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island to complete the immigrant experience. Spend some time checking out the photos of presidents and other macher on the walls. The place is a museum. Since pastrami is essentially cured beef, or corned beef, that has been smoked, you can make your own with store-bought corned beef, though homemade is really the way to go.

Comment

I just re-read your OP and realized you were talking more about corned beef rather than pastrami per se. I read a similar article somewhere talking about basically the same thing as pastrami. The EU immigrants corned their meat with salt and nitrates in a preservation effort prior to the advent of refrigeration. The meats used were what was available to them; could have been fowl or lamb or even mutton. When they immigrated to the US beef was more readily available and the traditional meats were not so they began corning cheap cuts of beef. Brisket and the fattier navel were among the cheapest, thus the tradition began and carries through until today.

Comment

All the store bought corned beef in SA is made from the cuts Topside or Silverside.
            I've never come across Brisket corned beef these parts.
            The pastrami I make with above cuts always turn out real good. Have overcooked 1 or 2 but still were very edible.
            I make mainly for cold meat sammies so my pieces are very thinly sliced.

Comment

Coincidently, Snake River Farms shot out an email today advertising a corned beef halfcut round. Looks interesting, but not sure I want to spend $119 to find out. https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/spec...cut-round.html

Comment

• JoeSousa
                JoeSousa commented
                Editing a comment
                I saw that too. I had never seen that cut available from them corned or not corned. I would think it would smoke up great for a pastrami or sliced for cold cuts but for something like corned beef and cabbage I would think the texture of the brisket would be a better way to go.

The recipe I use is similar to Meathead's corned beef recipe. I got it many years ago from a book on dressing and cooking wild game. It was originally entitled, simply, "Corned Venison." I think I first used it on a venison ham but have since used it on pork and beef. If anyone is interested, I will be happy to post it.
              Last edited by gcdmd; March 12, 2019, 04:49 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes please, I'd like to see yer receipt, if ya got it handy!

Thanks, Amigo!

Because brisket was cheap. In the 50's and 60's it was like $.39 a pound and that was when it was not on sale. The price of brisket didn't start to rise until Texas BBQ made it a staple. Back then it was a regular dish in Jewish households, cooked low and slow like a pot roast then sliced. In my house served with gravy and kasha (buckwheat groats) on most holidays and at least every few weeks. Now you can make sirloin or better roast for less.

Comment

Here ya go, Mr. Bones

Corning Meat

4 to 6 lb. brisket, flank, or shoulder roast, up to 1 inch thick
                1 gallon spring or distilled water
                1 cup canning and pickling salt
                1 cup tenderizing salt (e.g. Morton’s Tenderquick)
                6 Tbsp. sugar
                4 Tbsp. (1/4 cup) mixed pickling spice
                4 bay leaves
                16 whole black peppercorns
                2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced

Roll brisket or flank loosely and tie (I only do this if it is too big to fit the container when flat.). Place in large glass or pottery mixing bowl or in large oven cooking bag (or in a Jumbo Hefty bag).

In a non-reactive sauce pan combine remaining ingredients. Heat just to boiling. Remove from heat and cool.

Pour cooled brine over meat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, or, if using oven bag, squeeze to remove air, twist neck of bag, and seal. Place in a large bowl or pot to prevent or contain spillage. I use a half-size deep hotel pan. Refrigerate 4 to 5 days, turning meat occasionally. Drain. Rinse meat with cold water.

To prepare corned meat, place in Dutch oven. Cover with cold water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer until tender, 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.

NOTES:
                I've found that cutting the pickling spices to 1/8 cup produces a more subtle flavor; it's a matter of personal choice. Sometimes I add a little saltpeter, too. I also soak the final product overnight in the fridge in a gallon of fresh water just before cooking. It's still plenty salty after it's cooked.

In answer to the original question that started this thread, one of the reasons for using brisket flat is its thickness. I've used thicker cuts of meat but have left them in the brine for a bit longer. You could also inject some of the brine into the meat.
                Last edited by gcdmd; March 12, 2019, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks.

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Donw and Mr. Bones You're most welcome.
                  Last edited by gcdmd; March 12, 2019, 02:18 PM.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Many Thanks, Brother!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here