Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami-Thinking about a first time try-Flat or Point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One grocery store had point on sale, one had flat on sale. I have a point soaking right now. Will be picking up the flat tomorrow. I'm gonna try David Parrish 's method with smoking then sous vide. Hoping for good weather Sunday!

Comment

For corned beef I would definitely lean towards the flat. The texture of the meat is more along the lines of what I want for corned beef and cabbage. For pastrami I would probably say flat too but the point would be interesting to try. The extra fat might not be what I want for a pastrami sandwich but I would be willing to give it a try.

Comment

When it comes to brisket - I am a point man. Love the extra juicyness and fattiness.
        When I have done Pastrami - I used the flat. I like less fat and more beef in my sandwich ;-)

Comment

Point, as far asI'm concerned it just tastes better. I would actually pay more for point but I'm happy they charge less.

Comment

Well, this was my first time trying pastrami. I bought a 3lb corned beef brisket from Aldi for $2.99/lb. I put the corned beef on at 1:15pm. My fire averaged 230. At 3:15 pm my brisket hit 140... at 10:15 pm it was still at 140. Ready for bed so wrapped in foil and put in fridge. Next day put it in a 250 oven. in short order (2 hours or so) it was up to the 203 per Meathead's recommendation. Took off at 203. It tastes good but it is a little salty. I had a great steady fire but so long on the stall is unbelievable.
            Attached Files

Comment

I did a point for pastrami Saturday about the same size, took 7 hours. Did the cold water soak and rinse overnight. Did bump up my temp to 270s to help get through stall. Was delicious.

Comment

Nothing better than Pastrami point!

Comment

I love pastrami. Time for another one or six.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here