Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat with less holding time this time more juicy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat with less holding time this time more juicy

I used to fail on my flat, but today I took it our with less resting & holding time, probably around 3 hours, very tender and juicy. I think I rested them for too long before sometimes overnight. Also this one was separated from the flat before smoking, not sure also one of the reasons.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7609.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	646361Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7610.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	646360Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7616.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	646359Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7994.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	646358

Those are awesome photos! Looks good to me ;-)

Comment

Just a better flat. . Definitely looks great!!

My best had ridiculous amounts of resting due to being reheated and resting another two hours. The first rest was at room temperature until 140 internal.

Comment

That looks good. Where did you get the idea to rest over night?

Comment

That looks marvelous!

Comment

I rest for about 2 hours and no more because I want to get on with eating some. If you're cooking for another day or cooking for a restaurant service then resting is a critical step, but not necessarily for meat quality but meat safety. On a recent trip up to Lockhart I specifically asked the Pitmasters at both Black's and Kreuz's how they handled this. In both cases it was placing them in a warmer box from the time they pulled them to whenever they had to physically slice them. In other words they almost didn't have a real answer, it was more keeping things at proper temp then what it was actually doing for the meat itself.

I think we all agree and have demonstrated that resting is an integral and important part to low and slow cooking of big pieces of meat. I think there are margins of diminishing returns after a certain amount of time. Overnight is unnecessary imo.

Regardless, that's one good looking flat there sir !! I'd eat that with some onions and pickles please !!!

Comment

WOW! That biz looks perfect, my friend! Nice work. When it comes to brisket, you really have not mastered it until you can cook the flat well. I would say you re well on your way, if not, you are there already!

Comment

That brisket looks great. Made me drool a bit. Nice cook.

Comment

I think the variability between chunks of meat may have more to do with it than anything else. I dunno, though, I'm sure not a brisket aficionado.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here