Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Akaushi wagyu brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akaushi wagyu brisket

Just received this brisket (Akaushi Wagyu) as a gift. It's not the choice grade I am used to and I don't want to screw up an expensive piece of meat. Do I need to treat it differently than a lower grade? I have both a Gator offset and a Pit Barrel to choose as my weapon of choice.

I have read many times that a Wagyu will cook faster, and also they don't need to go quite as high or hold quite as long after. More fat, softer fat, that whole deal. As to timing, I couldn't tell you myself. But yes, you will need to treat it slightly differently. I'd start checking for probe tender in the upper 180s to mid 190s, this is simply a ballpark. I would suspect in the mid 190s, you probably wouldn't need to take it up to the low 200s, but you may. I've only done a Wagyu brisket once maybe twice, and I don't remember anything standing out as drastically different time wise, but there are different grades of "Wagyu" and mine was American, whcih is basically an upgraded Prime.

Comment

Ive done one american wagyu brisket and the only noticeable difference in the cook was being probe tender right around 192 instead of the low 200s typically seen with choice.

As for difference in the eating experience...well ill leave you to discover that

Comment

Thank you both. I was pretty sure I had remembered that there was a temperature difference but I wanted to make sure. I won't be using it for about 10 days to two weeks so I have plenty of time to get ready. I don't want a "Senior Moment" to spoil a good cook.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          On 3 hrs of sleep I ALMOST made Cumin the main player of my pastrami rub instead of Coriander. It started with "C" so I thought I was good but the named looked too short. I'm YEARS from being a senior, in age, evidently not deed.

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I got some of those memory foam insoles. They worked! I'm as sharp as I was at 30. So far the only downside is sleeping in my shoes. I know if I take them off I'll forget where I put them.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard added cinnamon to my taco mix instead of coriander once. Now I have a Cinnamon, chipotle, brown sugar rub...

Go PBC for the cook. I’ve never had a bad brisket cook on the PBC. Shortens the time as well.

Comment

Use the stickburner. Follow your normal routine. If you crutch go with paper, not foil. Start checking about 10° earlier than normal. Everything else is the same.

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, you dont wont need to worry about moisture so if you crutch, paper is the way to go.

Thank you, My choice of ovens will probably be decided the day of the cook by both the weather and my level of energy. If I want to work my Butt off and spend the day watching temps and fire I will use the Offset. If I want to just enjoy a well cooked piece of meet without rave reviews of my efforts I will go with the Pit Barrel.

Comment

I know i’m bumping an old thread but I just got an Akaushi brisket to cook this weekend.. Would you inject to keep it moist since these tend to dry out? I read somewhere these take about a hour per lb.. has that been yall’s experience?

Comment

lol time per lb is a myth. Too many factors. I inject all my briskets. adam320

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here