Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vertical Smoking Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical Smoking Brisket

I normally smoke brisket traditionally fat side up or down horizontally (flat). I have 4 briskets that I need to smoke for a party I am having. I purchased 2 Z-grills that will fit them but only if I can somehow position them vertically like in a rib rack. Rib racks are usually not that strong but am looking for ideas to see if anyone has ever smoked them on their side and how did you accomplish it. I do not want to get into debate as to what is best like fat side up or down because it is quicksand for the discussion. I just want to know what kind of contraption you can think of to make this work. I plan on having at least 3 inches of space in between the slabs and reverse the points so that there is a sort of ying yang fit into the grills. PS I got the grills in a buy one get one free promotion over Christmas... Ok team now GO... :-)
    Attached Files

I'm of no help. I suspect someone here has skinned that cat before.

Comment

If nothing else, you've taken the wind out of the fat side up or down debate! Best to you.

Comment

• NapMaster
        NapMaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Wind is a very accurate term.

I hang in the PBC, all I can do is vertical.

Comment

Short of fabricating one myself, all I can think of is a stainless dishwashing rack or something....even if you had to whack some of the slats out if it. but I'll be curious to see what you can come up with!

Comment

Maybe you could use long skewers to pin them as a group in place, leaving a little air space between each slab.

Comment

Maybe this is a good opportunity to add another smoker or two to your repertoire!

Comment

• kkmet
              kkmet commented
              Editing a comment
              I have 1 Traeger and 2 Z Grills My wife would kill me. This doesn't count the GMG Davy Crockett I have in the RV and Weber Smoky Mountain... I only have the 2 Z-Grills at the office though. :-)

I have smoked wibs on der side in a wib wack on my Weber kettle. Don’t know if a wib wack will fit your cooker, if it does, problem solved.

Comment

• NapMaster
              NapMaster commented
              Editing a comment
              Wake up from your nap. 🤣 Wibs ain't the issue. He need a rack for brisket. Speaking of a nap, I need one.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, he showed a pic of wibs so I had a one twack mind. And yes, I do need a nap!

Skewering would be my idea. I would skewer them together, with the three inch gap, but point of brisket A to flat of brisket b. I think fat side of both facing out of the pairing, as the fat side has a bit more insulation, which will slow it down in the face of the pellet convection current.

2 briskets to a cooker, easy peasy.

Comment

Can you add jerky racks and smoke them flat on top of each other?

Comment

• Red Man
                Red Man commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice idea. Or add racks raised up on bricks.

• kkmet
                kkmet commented
                Editing a comment
                Thought the smoke and heat would be more even vertically...

I think these will do what you want:

Comment

• kkmet
                kkmet commented
                Editing a comment
                Check out the big brain on RonB... :-) I am heading down that path. I will send photos of the process and results. Ron, do you want to go in with me marketing these things for this purpose if this works out?

Killa-K Grilling.

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                My brain is not that big - someone posted them here some time back. And my brain is too small to remember who...

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here