Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

resturant-depot-"black-angus-superior"-brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resturant Depot "black Angus Superior" brisket

i joined fhe KCBS just for resturant Depot privileges. And last weekend I bought a black angus "superior" brisket. It’s actually USDA Choice but they call it superior for marketing reasons. $55 for juat over 15 pounds.

The last one I bought was from Publix (supermarket chain based in FL). Don’t know the grade. The Publix brisket was smaller with a less meaty point, at a higher cost.

Anthow this thing has a thick meaty point. The flat is somewhat flat though. I will post an update once it’s trimmed and in the cure (it’s going to be corned beef and pastrami). A week after corned beef and cabbage day a neighbor is having crawfish fest, so I am bringing another brisket. Just the flat. I think I will go with their non black angus. More updates for that will follow.

Meanwhile, this is what I have now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	962D5DEE-BDA6-4AD4-A3CE-7550560FEFD1.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	643607

Nice! Nothing wrong with a Choice brisket, that's for sure.

Comment

Great deal! Nice score! Let us know how the cook goes!

Comment

You are off to a great start.

Comment

A RD just opened near me. Gotta get down there some day.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Be prepared to be mesmerized. These wearhouses are really awesome. Especially if you want let’s say a 5 gallon pale of mayonnaise and so on.
            Last time I was in the one by me, in the seafood department, They had a bin on 6+ pound lobsters. It was insane.

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Bring at least a jacket, even in summer. The refrigerated/frozen section is huge, and you just walk through a vinyl strip door to go in and out. And yeah, you will be like a kid in a candy store.

They actually call it black angus for marketing also.. a buddy of mines sell his year old calves to a big feed yard and get a report back that tell him how they grade at the meat packer. I bet half of his grade certified black angus and the isn't a black angus on the farm!!!
          Last edited by Backroadmeats; March 1, 2019, 01:11 PM.

Comment

That’s a fine looking brisket if you ask me!

Comment

We have one in San Antonio, Texas...what is the "day pass" for RD? One day? More? A buddy took me into this one, and as described above, the meat area of the cold locker was just awesome. I could not decide and, helping, the two check out lines each had many carts and loaders full of stuff. Thanks for explaining!

Comment

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                "Day pass" means once each day. They probably don't even care if you go in twice in a day, but I've never seen the need.

• SmokeyGator
                SmokeyGator commented
                Editing a comment
                Day pass means just that. You can’t get a card so you have to check in each time with the front desk. No big deal. I joined KCBS specifically for RD privileges.

Wow brisket and paper towels, looks like a typical run to CostCo for me

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeyGator View Post
                i joined fhe KCBS just for resturant Depot privileges.
                Hi SmokeyGator, Please explain how this works. Thanks!!

Comment

• Ahumadora
                  Ahumadora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just stroll right in... if anyone asks, just say " I am part of the AR pitmaster forum and I know what I am doing!"

It works pretty good. You join the Kansas City BBQ society. They send you a membership card and two stickers. Then you go to RD, show the card, explain to the check in desk that you are part of the KCBS and you can get a day pass, then get a day pass. Then you are in. Your day pass will say "cash only" but the person at the register might not care if you bust out with a credit card.

I bought:
                the brisket
                the paper towles
                5 pounds of limes for $4.95
                2 stainless steel steam table trays ($11 each, perfect for use as a drip pan in the Primo and also for food prep)
                A box of 500 disposable gloves
                a set of super long BBQ tongs
                6 large squeeze bottles
                1 short sleeve (elbow length) red chef coat
                12 serrated resturant style steak knives I can put in the dishwasher

somw of the stuff there is just too much. Unless you want a 10 pound jar of mayonnaise. Or you have 10 friends who each want a pound of the stuff. Maybe you want a 32 pack of canned soda. Or a pack of 100 eggs. But a lot of stuff there is industrial size stuff you WANT. Like the stainless steel steam table trays with 2 inch high sides. Who doesn’t want those??​​​​​

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad ya had such a good time, an reaped so many cool items!
                  A KCBS Member, but nearest RD is ~35 mi. away, so ain't graced their establishment, jus yet...

Very much enjoyed yer post, enticin me to go visit them...

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How did it trim up? Have you seen a Costco whole packer? I easily trim up to 4 to 5 lbs of the hard fat off a Costco. Just wondering. SmokeyGator
                  Last edited by HawkerXP; March 2, 2019, 11:56 AM.

The angus brisket at RD is good don't bother with the select though.The one near me has "halal"meat that looks pretty good but I haven't tried that yet. RD is where I got 25lb. beef clod for my "little chuckie" cook a few years back.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
                  SmokeyGator commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m going to pick up a chunk of ribeye roast next excursion so I can hand cut into THICK steaks.

Friends son is in culinary school. He is going to bring us to the one near us.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
                  SmokeyGator commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bring some cash unless your friends son has a regular member card (and you can use credit) There will be stuff you want. Comb the equipment isles for treasure and things hard to find in regular stores. Get a box of beer mugs just like a real bar has, nice and thick for extra frosty mugs. There is even commercial cooking equipment available. Also do bring a cooler with ice because the walk in cooler is warehouse sized.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here