Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1" thick steak technique inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1" thick steak technique inquiry

I am gonna be grilling some 1" thick USDA Prime NY strips tomorrow night on the new GrillGrate set-up. I like to reverse sear for thicker steak (1.5" +) ...thinking I might try it with these. In the pic below you can see how the grates are rail side up on the indirect portion of the grill and turned upside down (flat side up) over the direct portion...maybe 3 minutes each side first on the indirect portion and then finish by searing each side for about 1.5 minutes on the direct portion...any thoughts? - will show pics afterwards...just using olive oil, fresh black pepper, sea salt, garlic powder, Cheyenne powder for seasoning and I like to 'scruff' up the surface of the steaks prior to seasoning.

what time is dinner?

Comment

I think you're plan will work out pretty well, but you may need more indirect cooking time unless you plan on cooking well above the 225F pit temp we recommend. Because the steaks are only 1" thick you'll want to take them off the indirect heat well before they hit 115F or you risk getting the steak too done during the sear phase. Let's say 105F instead with the goal of hitting 130F final temp after the sear.

When it comes time to sear, don't use the lid, get the grate as hot as you can, and flip often... like once a minute. You'll probably only be able to sear these for 4 minutes before hitting high 120s and getting a good color on the exterior.

Be sure to tell us what you end up doing and we want pics!

Comment

Agree with Pit Boss. If I had to guess I would bake (the indirect portion) them about 10-15 min, maybe 20, then sear them. 1"ers won't take long. I would be highly tempted to only take them to about 100, then sear, similar to what Pit Boss says.

Comment

Would be hard to get a good crust on a Reverse seared 1 inch steak without overcooking. Unless you let the cool down before searing maybe?
          Get some peanut oil, if you don't have peanut allergies, or make some ghee for searing steaks on a grill.
          Olive oil doesn't do well with searing.

Comment

Appreciate the comments guys - yes, I will definitely add some pics for sure....this is what my filet medallions looked like a week or so ago so I am trying to copy what I did with them.

Comment

• clubchuck
              clubchuck commented
              Editing a comment
              Those medallions look really good, would you mind sharing your sauce recipe?

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              NICE!

Howdy clubchuck! The recipe is basically a Ruth's Chris BBQ Shrimp recipe - you can actually find the ingredients on the RC site, but it is missing some things....I mix one stick of (salted) butter, about 2 tablespoons of Worchester Sauce, few dashed of Tabasco Sauce, about a table spoon of dried parsley, and about 2 table spoons chopped garlic...set in fridge until ready to use - will last a couple weeks easy. When it comes time to cook the shrimp I will heat the pan to medium high (closer to high) add olive oil....the shrimp is lightly seasoned with Zataran's blackened seasoning. Add shrimp to pan and go until it starts to get near opaque in color (about 5 minutes - flipping about 3 minutes in)...then add a shot of chardonnay wine...reduce to half. Once that is done I lower the heat just a bit and add 1/3 cup heavy cream and while stirring let that reduce some adding chopped green onion stalks. Then I add the BBQ butter mixture outlined earlier in small chunks to help it melt faster....keeping the heat the same. Once it is melted it's ready to serve....hope this helps.

Here's a pic of the steaks we are having tonight and our seasoning we will add - Fresh cracked black pepper, Himalayan pink salt, garlic powder, Cheyenne powder...plus one needs to have a nice Cab to go with it all
            Last edited by Gunsmokers; February 21, 2015, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              How is the Justin cabernet?

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              GS tell me what you think of the Justin Cab. I had some a couple of weeks ago. It was not a bad wine, but for $25 to $30 I've had better. I forget now why it didn't suit me... was probably too sweet. I'm not much for sweet.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Would you mind posting this as a standalone sauce recipe over in the Sauce Recipe thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
              Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Would you mind posting this as a standalone sauce recipe over in the Sauce Recipe thread?
              Done - thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Gunsmokers View Post

Done - thanks again
                Excellent, thank you sir!

Comment

Turned out fantastico!! Thanks again y'all!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here