Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Meatloaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Meatloaf

Following the ABC recipe (well, mostly...I forgot the parsley!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2DjDD7upxU

I should know in a little bit how this turns out. Using two chunks of applewood for smoke. (Yes, I probably needed to mash the loaf a bit more together.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3010.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	641256

Also, I have never controlled temperature this well! I'm getting it!

Name:	IMG-3011.PNG
Views:	150
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	641257

--Michael

Looking good!

Comment

OMG. OMGOMGOMG. Soooo good! Best thing I've cooked on the grill thus far (only been doing this since December)!

Bold flavors without being overly spicy. As I mentioned, I stuck to the recipe with the exception of leaving out the parsley. I used KC Masterpieces's original sauce for the glaze. That seemed to work well.

Just look at this lovely thing...

Name:	IMG-3015.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	641283

Also, SMOKE RING!!

Name:	IMG-3016.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	641282

Presentation shot:

Name:	IMG-3017.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	641281

In addition to this turning out so flavorful, I am really excited at how well I controlled the temperature this time around. I wasn't chasing it at all! ABC's suggestion of half a chimney of lit coals atop half a chimney of unlit coals worked great for 350-375. It took two hours to cook and I only had to adjust the vents once.

(As an aside, this is probably my last cook with the Weber iGrill 2. It is a fantastic concept and it does work, but it is just a pain to use. I need a dedicated RF digital thermometer that stays on and that I can see from a distance.)

Name:	IMG-3014.PNG
Views:	172
Size:	466.7 KB
ID:	641280

If I had to do it over again in addition to remembering the parsley, I'd clearly cut a much finer dice/chop on my onions.

This is going to also make a fantastic sandwich tomorrow.

And, it's cat approved!

Name:	IMG-3018.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	641284

--Michael

Comment

That's a nice looking loaf of meat there brother. I love smoked meat loaf, throw in some mashed taters and you got some comfort food !!!

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          (And today in Houston was perfect smoking weather!)

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes it was !!! I smoked about 15# of meat for the week !!!

Beautiful bark! And good lookin’ cat!

Comment

The weather in TX really was great for smoking! I made a rack of pork ribs today but meatloaf is certainly on my list!

Thanks for the post, awesome cook!

Comment

BBQ meatloaf is on the menu Next Week as a matter of fact. Yours looks great, love the bark and ring.

Comment

I remember my first smoked meatloaf. As you undoubtedly know by now, you'll never cook it any other way again. Congrats, and welcome to the club!

Comment

That looks great! I have never done meatloaf because I never had a good one (it was not one of my mother's best meals when I was growing up) but that one may cause me to reconsider. Nice!

Comment

Wow that looks good .

Comment

Meatloaf is one of the most under-rated dishes to cook on the grill. Yours looks fantastic - great color on the exterior.

Comment

Michael_in_TX Congrats on your meatloaf cook! You were wise to follow the ABC recipe and SnS instructions; Dave does a spectacular job on that site, and you can't go wrong with his advice.

Next time you may want to make 2 meatloaves and cover one of them with strips of thin-sliced center cut bacon to see if you like it that way as well.

And look into replacing the iGrill with the Fireboard Extreme BBQ set. You won't regret it. You could look it up while munching on your yummy meatloaf sammie today.

Kathryn

Comment

I love this recipe! Did one for a new neighbor who had just moved in and whose wife was very pregnant. They loved it! Well, I'm happy to share the recipe I said. Oh no they said, we would rather have you make it for us.

Comment

Yes, ABC's instructions and videos are always very clear, which is excellent for me as a beginner.

Also, I am happy to report that the sandwich was excellent. Small slice of meatloaf, slice of swiss cheese, some pickled jalapeños, a little spread of BBQ sauce, and German dark wheat bread. Exceptionally filling.

--Michael

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here