Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket timing/temp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket timing/temp question

I have a 17 pound brisket that I want to serve at 6pm tomorrow. I was deciding wether to start the cook around 12:30am at 225 or at around 6am at 275. I’ve never cooked a brisket at 275 so I’m curious about that too. I usually don’t wrap my briskets but in this situation I’m open to it.

I usually start my fire at 8pm and throw the brisket on at 10pm once I have the fire stable. That not possible as I have an event tonight.

I prefer a same day cook cook as I like my sleep but I’m concerned it won’t finish in 11 hours or so.

Try this:
    We are the BBQ army… Be as helpful, caring and generous as you can afford to be. Remember, this is only temporary – and knowing how to cook you can make a huge difference in the lives of others! Meat Smoking Times and Temps made Easy! (Now adding Hot & Fast!) Meat Smoking Calculator will … Meat Smoking Calculator Read More »

6 am is too late even at 275. A brisket REALLY needs a 3 hr rest in my experience.

Comment

I don't think that brisket will finish in 11 hours and I don't think a buffer of 1 hour for long cook plus rest is sufficient. I would say, at 275, that you want to start at 4 AM, better yet 3 AM. That gives you 12 hours to cook it (probably just barely sufficient. and 3 hours is a good buffer in case the cook runs long, plus 3 hours rest won't hurt you at all.

I cook pretty much everything at 250 .... mostly because that's the sweet spot on my WSM 22. If I was cooking that size brisket at 250, I would want the brisket on the cooker at 2 AM at the very latest.

Comment

YOU are looking at 75 to 90 mimutes a lb . I wood smoke it at 275 . if it get done early , you can always wrap it and put it in a cooler to stay warm . It is better to start smoking the brisket early than later . I put mind wrapped in a cooler and it stays there for 2 to 4 hrs and i slice it when we are ready to eat , the meat temp is around 100 to 120 f . to stay moist we only slice what is needed .

Comment

One question I didn't think to ask, but it is pertinent .... is that 17 lb brisket pre or post trim?

Comment

• Sfdrew28
            Sfdrew28 commented
            Editing a comment
            17 post trim. It’s a beast

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Good grief .... that's a monster. 17 lbs post trim is gonna be a long cook. Definitely run at 250F and definitely give yourself a lot of time.

I think I’ll start at soon as I get home. Hopefully by midnight. I’ll try to keep at 250 and expect some wandering up to 275. Not planning on wrapping but I’ll keep that in my back pocket.
          I have my FireBoard to alert me if it temp goes too high.

Thanks for suggestions ions and I still have time to change my mind. 😬

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that's a good plan

I cook EVERYTHING at 275 and I would put on at 6am. It will be done around 1 or 2. Gives plenty of rest time.....let us know how and what you did.....Good Luck

Comment

I ended up putting it on at 11:30 last night. Average temp stayed at about 240. Got as high as 263 during the night. I have about one hour (will finish at 3pm so 15 hours total) left as I didn’t wrap it. I just moved it to the oven to finish as my charcoal ran out. That is weird but I recently switched to FOGO which seems to have a shorter cook time than the Lazarri I used to use. Looks great at this point and will post pics in a bit.

Comment

Here it is post cook pre cambro.
              Attached Files

Comment

That looks more like a shoulder clod than a brisket. That would explain the size. You sure it wasn't labeled wrong?

Comment

• Sfdrew28
                  Sfdrew28 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Positive. I saw the box of briskets opened and I selected this one myself. In addition, during trimming there was the usually layer of fat separating the point and flat.

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  wow, never seen a brisket end up that round. Looks great though! Sfdrew28

The timing is right on. I hope you took notes because it’s amazing how quickly we forget the details. Looks awesome I would love to see a slice.

Comment

My 20# wagyu brisket shrunk down to 8#s after trimming and cooking. Turned out superb but a bit expensive per portion.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• NapMaster
                    NapMaster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks tasty! 20lbs down to 8!!! I hope you chewed it twice as long.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here