Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystery Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Meat

I need help identifying this chunk of beef. The only thing the package said it's USDA Choice .it's about the size of a volleyball, and probably weighs between twelve to fifteen pounds. My BIL somehow ended up with it, but we have no idea what it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2600.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	638310Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2599.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	638311Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2598.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	638312

my guess and only a guess is chuck roast. The size makes me question that. I'm no expert. I have a 5 pound in the freezer. 12 to 15, chuck might not exist. I'm sure the more knowledgeable wil chime in.

Comment

Looks like a roast out of the round.. their should be three roasts in there if you separate the muscle groups.. I make pastrami out of it..

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Always a good cal!

Sirloin tip.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Backroadmeats It happens to me every once in a while.

• Fire Art
        Fire Art commented
        Editing a comment
        Sirloin tip

• Brisket Syndicate
        Brisket Syndicate commented
        Editing a comment
        It is indeed a sirloin tip. I googled images of it, and most of the pics were identical. Thanks!

😁😁 if it was the sirloin ya should be able to see the loin and tenderloin and I don't see it.. oh well how bout big chunk of beef!!

Comment

Is that a bone in there on the third picture??

Comment

Looks like part of the round. The bone is what’s throwing me off.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup me too.. it isn't round..

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            You’re a butcher, what do you think Backroadmeats? Is it maybe part of the shoulder clod ??

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Can't tell.. I need to see the bone.. even then if it is a retail cut I may not have a clue.. I cut steaks, roasts and make burger!!

The meat certainly looks like round, but I can't explain the bone.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup.. he needs to cut the bone out so we can see it. if it was Chuck should look like a pork butt bone..

Someone is carving up Babe the Blue Ox!

Comment

Portion of a shoulder clod, I think.

Comment

I don't know, but I'll bet whatever you make from it will be good! let's see what it becomes.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Be careful what you ask for, because in the end it.....oh well, let's not go there!

You could take the photos to a local butcher or put it in an ice chest and ask him if you can bring it in for to look at. That’s what I’d do.

Comment

Is it done yet?

Comment

I think it is the lower end of round.

Comment

It's boneless. Turned out to be a sirloin tip.

Comment

• Murdy
                      Murdy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      what was the thing that looked like a bone? Big hunk of gristley fat?

• Brisket Syndicate
                      Brisket Syndicate commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just fat and connective tissue.

• Timbo54
                      Timbo54 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just love big hunks of beef. Put it on a rotisserie over smoking wood and slice thinly as it cooks.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here