Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Am I Doing Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy
    commented on 's reply
    Me too DW what are you external temp averages and how long are the cooks?

• Medusa
    commented on 's reply
    Amen to FoodSavers, Brother!

• Medusa
    commented on 's reply
    I don't put any oil on the meat until I'm ready to rub it down with a spice rub. I just let salt sit and penetrate.

• Medusa
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Huskee! - got it (name wise). All I need to do is substitute "roast" for "steak" and I have this cut listed on the grocery list.

I believe I've used blade "steaks" for Cook's Ultimate Chili.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Makes sense. Thanks Huskee

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker the oil is useless when dry brining, unless you're dry brining with a full salted rub.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Medusa, sorry for the delay answering. This cut sort of comes from the chuck, but it's actually the shoulder blade muscle, you may also find it referred to as top blade roast, petite roast, or flat iron roast. I'm not sure how anatomy-wise you are but in case you care it's the infraspinatus muscle of the steer. On the scapula (shoulder blade) on the top or dorsal side of it, are two muscles, one above the 'spine' (ridge) on the scapula, and one below. The one above is the "chuck tender" roast (supraspinatus) and the one below the ridge is this one.

• Medusa
    commented on 's reply
    Remember, put boiling water into the water pan. I believe this is a MH tip.

--Ed

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Meathead Would you also dry brine a brisket with no oil as well? Thanks.

• jragle
    replied
    Thanks to all. I'll giver 'er another go and post results.

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    commented on 's reply
    Beautiful cut. I've never seen a flat iron roast, but have a flat iron steak in the freeze. I assume this is a much thicker, wider cut. Correct?

Below is a list of roasts that come from the #1 Chuck Cut. I'm going to look closely to see if I can find anything that matches your picture. I guess part of the "fun" is that different stores / recipes refer to the same cut by different names.

Chuck Arm Roast
    Chuck Shoulder Pot Roast
    Chuck 7-Bone Pot Roast
    Cross Rib Roast
    English Roast
    Chuck-Eye Roast

--Ed
    Last edited by Medusa; February 18, 2015, 03:58 PM.

• Meathead
    replied
    I think you are making several mistakes. Use chuck which is much fattier and will therefore be more moist. Do a dry brine first the day before. NO OIL. That gets the salt down deep and salt holds onto water. Use a no-salt rub since you dry brined. Try my Big Bad Beef Rub. No need to apply the spices that far in advance, they don't penetrate more than 1/8 " USE A WATER PAN to keep the humidity up. Wait til the smoker is up to temp before putting the meat in. While it is heating up it is belching dirty smoke. Put cold meat into the machine. Cold wet surfaces attract smoke. Cook until it hits 203, not 195.

Leave a comment:

• The Burn
    replied
    I'll echo many of these comments. I did 2 chucks a couple of weeks ago (total of 5 lbs). Rubbed them with BBBR (with salt) and ended up sitting in fridge uncovered for 2 days. Temp on my kettle/vortex ranged from 225-260. Wrapped them at 170. No liquid. Took them to 207 and then sat in the 170 oven (instead of a faux cambro) for an hour. It was delicious then and it's just as good after being vacuum sealed with the FoodSaver and microwaved. Makes a yummy sandwich with provolone cheese.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    I know that Dew, I was just saying that all smokers don't cook the same. I also follow PB directions on the beef chuck and it was fantastic. The key is getting to the right temp and letting it set in a cambro.

• Huskee
    replied
    Yessir. Anything pulled needs time time time. And temp. A long faux cambro hold for pulled beef or pork will be your best trick. Pit Boss recently had taken his up to 207 (I believe) then did a cambro hold.

Bottom round? Pass on that, unless you want to take it to 135 medium rare and slice thin. Or eye of round. Great flavor but yes it will be tough. But there isn't enough fat & marbling for pulled beef in those.

If you can find this, I also recommend using a flat iron roast (where the flat iron steak, or petite steak comes from.). My store calls it a "petite roast." It is excellent as pulled beef. When you see one you'll know, it has massive marbling (for a roast) where the striations are a combo of neatly parallel lightning bolts. I shall dub it the lightning roast.

Here's a pic of what they look like. If you see it, snag one up and try it! Otherwise chucks are your best bet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12-FFC18CF2-2057600-1280.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	63848

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here