Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Am I Doing Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    I didn't mean yours was undercooked, DW. The one in the original post that got pulled at 195 was undercooked IMO.

DEW

• Guy
    replied
    Going to do that this weekend, following the Boss tread on Chuck.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Different smokers different results

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    replied
    Under cooked. There was a whole thread on here from Pit Boss who says to take a chucky to 205 or above. Fzxdoc followed that advice and said the results were awesome.

DEW

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    commented on 's reply
    DW, this sounds really good. I'm gonna hafta try it!

• DWCowles
    replied
    jargle, here's the way that I do my beef chuck roast. I dry brine the roast for 24 hrs. After 24 hrs I take it out and put the rub on it (minus salt) and back in the fridge for 12 hrs. The next morning I get the smoker up to temp and take the roast out of fridge straight to smoker. When it reaches 160-170 I add about a half cup of warm beef broth double wrap in aluminum foil till it reaches 203-205. Take it out put in cambro for 1-2 hrs. Then I pull it and enjoy.
    Last edited by DWCowles; February 18, 2015, 02:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jragle
    commented on 's reply
    I've done numerous top or bottom round beef roasts over the years. We'll slice it thin (like it's for the in-laws) and pile slices high on buns with favorite toppings. I was going for something using a fattier cut of beef so choices aren't limited at the meat counter.

• Spinaker
    replied

I'm open to suggestions and thank you for your comments.[/QUOTE]

Like others have said, I would take that meat up too at least 202 F. The Faux Cambro sit is something that I would defiantly do my friend. It will make a difference with out a doubt. It sounds to me like your pulling the meat just a little too early and not letting it Cambro long enough. If its dry, try using the crutch with beef broth or maybe a slightly saltier rub to help retain moisture. You also may have just been unlucky and bought poor quality meat. Its a shame having a beautiful cooker like the YS-640 and not getting the results that you want. Hope this and words of others help to solve your problem.
    Good Luck

-John

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    replied
    Originally posted by jragle View Post
    The first smoke was with a heavily marbled bottom round roast.
    The almighty Cook's Illustrated informed me that bottom round was an acceptable substitute for Tri-Tip. It was good, but tough. Won't do that again.

I would venture that Chuck would be your best bet if you are going to pull it. All the recipes that I have for beef roasts call for thin slicing, though.

I wonder if wet-brining with a salt solution ( similar to doing a brisket ) would help it to tenderize and maintain juiciness?

Wish I could be of more help.

--Ed

Leave a comment:

• jragle
    commented on 's reply
    No I haven't. I don't foil very often. Maybe a brisket to help getting through the stall, but that's about it.

• scorched_porch
    replied
    I'm with smarkley - Have you tried wrapping with foil at 160 with a cup of broth and taking it the rest of the way from there?

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    replied
    I always take chuck to 203 - 205 internal then faux cambro for an hour... turns out great. If I wrap it is 160-170 Internal.

Leave a comment:

• jragle
    started a topic What Am I Doing Wrong?

What Am I Doing Wrong?

We love smoked meats and one of our favorites is pulled pork. That being said I've tried to do a smoked pulled beef twice. Both times I was really disappointed with the results. The first smoke was with a heavily marbled bottom round roast. Seemed dry and tough. Next time I used a chuck roast, about three inches thick. As before the meat looked awesome with nice bark. But, again, the meat was tough. To prep for the smoke, I'll lightly coat the meat with olive oil and use a dry rub. The meat is wrapped with clear wrap and placed in the fridge over night. Next day I'll pull the meat and let it sit while the smoker heats up. I'm smoking at 250 on a Yoder YS-640. When ready I'll inject the roast with some beef broth. I pull the meat at 195 or so. It'll sit for maybe 20 minutes to cool a bit and then I start pulling. The meat pulls well and tastes yummy. But it just seems to be tough.

I'm open to suggestions and thank you for your comments.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here