Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomahawk Ribeye - Wife's B'Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomahawk Ribeye - Wife's B'Day

I've actually only had one of these in a steakhouse, a really high end steakhouse. My wife loved it and has talked about it for 10 years since. So .... local butcher was carrying them in CAB and I decided to get one and do it for her for her birthday dinner. Side will be risotto and asparagus. In spite of 2 feet of snow, I'm gonna pretend it's high summer!

I've never cooked a ribeye this big, so this is new. It's dry brining right now, so will get about 6 hours worth of dry brine. My plan is basically reverse sear. Going to run about 250F with smoke until I get to a reasonable internal temp and then sear on screaming hot grill grates. Then I'll slice and serve :-)

Thoughts and input on my cooking method and rub for the steak are most welcome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UEVrP+XAT4WFvER5t1IgbA.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	637677Click image for larger version

Name:	gjpbPS9NQw6j36CJKisM%Q.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	637676Click image for larger version

Name:	bia9bDEQTRCPlvP7HjF4VA.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	637678Click image for larger version

Name:	+2IQeGOOTvykYIuccW+lYg.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	637675

Exactly how I would do it. Slice it with a nice board sauce!

Comment

I would keep your temp closer to 225*. Also be easy on the smoke. You want the meat to shine. As far as a rub, you've already salted, so just pepper and some garlic powder. Good luck with the cook and Happy Birthday to the better half.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        PappyBBQ For a Pit Barrell that would definitely be about right. I think that's where they all seem to like running. I was talking more of an indirect method. For that I like the lower temps. Seems to give me a more even wall to wall pink/red color.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        The Hasty-Bake really likes to run at 250F when I set it up for low and slow .... and that's about the temp I cook rib roasts at, so it seemed reasonable ..... I might try to pull the temp down a bit.

• PappyBBQ
        PappyBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve B I get a really nice result from even the higher temps - wall to wall medium rare to rare. Plus I'm impatient for that steak! lol

Grilled one of these bad boys for my husband during a snowstorm on New Year's Eve. Indirect cook at 250-300 F with smoke to an internal temp of 105-110 F. Then a fast, hot sear to IT of 120 F. Pull and serve promptly. The result is steak on the dinner plate that's on the rare side of medium rare. Just how DH loves it. (Me too.)

Comment

My lovely wife much prefers her steak to be on the north side of medium ..... which means that normally I start our steaks 10 minutes apart so that mine is medium-rare and hers is medium plus. Can't do that here .... but the bone will protect the inner part of the steak from the heat, so I think I can achieve medium minus on the inside and medium plus on the outside. I'm going to take the center of the steak to 140 and then sear, which should achieve that. If I overshoot, that's better than undershooting. And I can deal with a steak more than medium-rare with a good board sauce!

I'm considering using one of Adam Perry Lang's rubs, as well.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          First spaetzle and now Adam Perry Lang.. great minds must think alike. I can't believe how many people have never heard of him. His recipes are some of the best around.

I used my charcoal chimney with a spare grate over it. Got it screaming hot, seared the steak really hard on both sides. Then dumped the hot coals in my SnS on my kettle and got the temp to 225 with a small piece of hickory. Once i liked how the smoke was looking I seasoned the steak with fresh cracked pepper, kosher salt and a little garlic powder. Took the IT up to 130 and enjoyed one of the best steaks I’ve ever fixed.

Name:	F953AC4D-AFD7-4A30-A9EE-9B4A6812F4C1.jpeg
Views:	394
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	637717Click image for larger version

Name:	F7AABB06-8D64-445C-80A8-0AE660CEC8E8.jpeg
Views:	375
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	637718

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          After Burner!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Dadof3Illinois but I'd rather call it a Tomahawk!

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          They all taste the same !!!...HA

I don’t want to be a stick in the mud but I can’t bring myself to buying a Tomahawk Steak.

I cringe when I think about paying all that extra money for a big ass bone.

Comment

• PappyBBQ
          PappyBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper that's a good deal! I'd pull the handle on that. As you say, it IS unique/cool! Something out of the ordinary to make the bday special and memorable!

• ddmcwhirter
          ddmcwhirter commented
          Editing a comment
          Your dog will LUV you!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Same

I'm just wondering why you would "slice and serve"? Isn't that big long bone just to grab onto and tear into it? Isn't that what a cowboy would do?

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thinking that makes it a Caveman ribeye :-)

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper that makes sense - I guess i have a little Caveman in me! https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2194

• ddmcwhirter
          ddmcwhirter commented
          Editing a comment
          They do weigh three to four pounds...if you're gonna eat the whole thing like a rib, you'd better prepare with a beverage lifting workout.

Seems like your proposed cooking method is pretty much what I would do. It has been a LONG time since I have done anything other than salt and pepper for seasoning a steak. Always hard for me to cover a nice ribeye with anything else.

With a steak that size I would think the meat near the bone will be on the low side of medium if the outer edges are reaching the high side of medium so there should be plenty of meat for you to eat. A ribeye like this will handle going beyond medium rare just fine. Unfortunately that probably means you don't get any of the cap. But it is your wife's birthday. She should get the best of the steak.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          JoeSousa that's my thinking about how the meat will cook .... and wife definitely deserves the best cut o'meat tonight .... her b'day is actually Wednesday, but my in-laws seem to think they should get to spend time with her too .... what the heck?

• JoeSousa
          JoeSousa commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper So you have Wednesday free to cook whatever you want while she goes out with the in-laws?
          Last edited by JoeSousa; February 18, 2019, 04:27 PM.

I know I say this all the time, but trim all the excess fat on the outside and render it down to make beef love. Then spread that on the steak before the low and slow portion of the cook. Then give it a good brush before the searing portion. Add some kosher salt at the end of the sear and serve. It will really amp up the flavor. (I know, I know, I give this advise to everyone, but it is damn good!)

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker I've got plenty of beef love in the freezer. But I will be cutting off the excess fat .... 1. So my wife isn't icked out by it and 2. Gotta make more, don't I? :-)

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          JoeSousa in a pan on low .... be patient, let it render down nicely, strain out the bits that don't render. I pour it into ice trays when it has cooled down enough to not melt the plastic and freeze it. Then I take my ice cubes and put them in a gallon ziplock ..... 1 cube handles a couple steaks just fine. I just melt it in the microwave and use a silicon brush to paint the steaks.

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          I use butter that’s been infused with garlic, rosemary and thyme but now I’m thinking I should add those while I render some fat then freeze.

I just love a big old cowboy steak. Just cooked mine a SRF Picanha for her b'day on Saturday (see my post on SUWYC). I guess you and I have wife's that have b'days at or around Valentine's day !!! Ain't life grand ??

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Feb 20 .... but doing dinner tonight cause various things interfere with Weds.

Name:	image_83174.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	637838Click image for larger version

Name:	Tomahawks Two 102115.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	637854 I've done them on an open brick fire pit, with a ring of coals and smoking oak, chunks of other woods thrown into the ring under the meat, with smoke and errant flames brushing meat for a couple hours until they hit about 130 F.
        Last edited by ddmcwhirter; February 18, 2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
          ddmcwhirter commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah...less than $10 per pound...great! Our dog loves the big bones. She has her own bone yard collection. I'll have to get a pic of that...no bone ever gets too old for her...she sniffs each one until it's the right one.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Great shot! Looks like a blast!

• Phil Averbuck
          Phil Averbuck commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaaaa, that bone-battle pic is worth a million!!

Enjoy. I concur with 225 rather than 250. For a delicious cut of meat like that I often just salt only. Occasionally if I’m looking for other flavors on the rub I like the Cattleman’s Grill Tri-tip.

Have fun fun and enjoy. Looks like a solid menu.

Comment

Looks awesome ecowper ! What butcher did you buy that from? Last time I got one I had to go out to Blue Max in Buckley

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here