Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first time beef short ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first time beef short ribs

I'm going to be smoking beef short ribs tomorrow for the first time. They are certified angus, but choice not prime. Do I treat them any differently than a choice brisket?

I know less then nothing on cooking Briskets but short Wibs I like dry brine over night then lots of black pepper. Onion and garlic powder 275 grill temp 200ish internal Yeah buddy

Comment

Treat them exactly the same. 275 cooking temperature. I like to do them in 2 bones sections. You are in for a treat. CAB is a great choice for meat.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        They were 2 days from their sell or freeze date and on sale at half price. I bought several and froze them. This is the first chance I've had to try them.

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I though I should do. Thank you.

Good advice above. I would add probe them for tenderness just like a brisket, when you get up to the 200* threshold. Rest them in a warm oven or a cambro for an hour or two before serving.

fairly easy cook, fantastic result !! Good luck !!

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, I really look forward to trying them.

We like ribs more than brisket - you will love them.

Comment

Treat similar to a brisket, but cut the amount of salt you dry brine with in half. Skip the injection, and either hit with a jaccard meat tenderizer after hitting it with the salt. If you don't have one, go O. J. Simpson on it with a forkform the same kind of effect. Leave the membrane on. I use my brisket rub, and hot sauce as a binder. Smoke at 225° for about 3 hours over Oak with a little mesquite mixed in. Then I crutch with foil always on beef ribs for about 3 more hours. At this point they should be probe tender. There are actually TWO membranes on beef ribs, the one on the back, and one halfway through the meat. Probe all the way through the ribs to be sure the inner one is not still like dental floss. Once tender, open foil meat side up and smoke uncovered until bark has tightened up. Once tight, pull rest and then serve. Beef ribs are kinda my thing. Save the drippings to make either brisket injection, or Texas style BBQ sauce with. Two pointers; crutch at 3 hours only if you are happy with the bark both color and texture wise. Also if not tender wrap back up and keep cooking crutches until it is. Times are approximate, your agricultural product may vary.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          They've been on about 5 hours, I wrapped at 180 about an hour ago. The second membrane is noticeable, I wandered what I was feeding with the probe. Thanks for all the info. If these are as good as they smell, ribs may be a thing for me also.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Have never crutched a short rib, never will.

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I used butcher paper, just like a use on a choice brisket. They turned out great. I'm grateful to each of you for the help

Our local grocery store cuts them down to individual ribs. I find they have enough meat on each rib that they can be probed. In my experiences with them, when cut individually like that, no need to wrap. By the time they've developed good bark they have hit 200+ internal and it only takes 5-6 hours at around 240 or so.

Short ribs are a true delicacy. They are so succulent.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I did these in pairs. They were so rich! I'm a big guy and I only ate one. I did wrap them and that might not have been necessary, but I don't know how they could have been better.

Pictures please! or you know, never happened.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah that's what I'm sayin. Sounds like you have a new favorite meat to smoke and eat.

The poster probably already ate his cook so here's a pic, that make you guys happy ??

Click image for larger version

Name:	beef ribs 06.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	637623

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here