Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-tip dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-tip dilemma

I just don’t have access to a butcher. The closest we have in our area is Fresh Market and Kroger. Trying to buy a tri-tip and they all say not in this area. Any alternatives or suggestions? Would love to cook a tri-tip especially in anticipation of the new Hasty Bake arriving any day now.

I always get mine online. Double R ranch from SRF is not a bad deal.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
      Frozen Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Creek Stone has good ones as well. I buy em by the case from food service company otherwise can't get 'em in the stores around here.

That’s too bad. Tri tip is everwhere here. Any local butchers who can make a custom cut for you?

Comment

Yea Snake River Farms is your best online source as Jerod Broussard said. I've gotten really good ones and really bad ones from Crowd Cow, another source that I don't recommend.

FYI if you have a Costco or a Sams in your area they sometimes have them. I picked up two really nice Prime ones from Costco this afternoon. Good luck in your search !!!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, I am out on Crowd Cow as well. Too many crappy shipments of meat.

A year ago I would have thought no big deal cook a chuck roast. But now I have to have at least ever month or so 😎

Comment

Try getting Costco to order a case .... or order from SRF or Painted Hills

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            PS I really like Painted Hills .... my local butcher carries Painted Hills Beef .... good stuff. I vouch for it :-)

Also, you can tell a butcher that you are looking for NAMP 185D ... that’s tri-tip that’s been trimmed and the fat cap removed.

Comment

If you have a Wegmans near you, they might have it. The Wegmans near us has it, but it's $12/lb. I'll get a hunk of prime out of Costco if I'm going to spend that kind of money.

Comment

I’ve had 6 tri tips in the past year from Creekstone Farms. I’m no authority, but they’ve been mighty good. It’s also about time for them to have a sale on em. Try creekstonefarms.com

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                They do have some good stuff!

• DavidNorcross
                DavidNorcross commented
                Editing a comment
                Wonderful. I have not heard of them. Thank you for the tip.

• jghorton
                jghorton commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree. All the ones I have tried are from Creekstone. Keep an eye on their site; they run a special of 3 prime tri tips for around $70. They are always excellent.

I have ordered a few from Porter Road. Have been very good.

Comment

I’m in MD/DC area and found Tri tip at Whole Foods. Got so excited I bought all of it and froze some. You might try Whole Foods if you have one close by.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
                  DavidNorcross commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There you have it. We have found the source for the east coast shortage

• KarchyBBQ
                  KarchyBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  #sorrynotsorry

Dinner at my place!

David, maybe this is why you can’t find any. KarchyBBQ bought it all. 🕶

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here