Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Point temping way higher than flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Point temping way higher than flat

Admittedly I haven't cooked nearly as many briskets in my life as I have racks of ribs, pork shoulders, chickens, etc., but I've also not ran into this one yet.

Currently on: Full packer brisket, USDA prime, 16.5 pounds

Point temping about 198, Flat temping about 175. The point is big and thick, but the flat also isn't super thin by any means. I always try to buy them as "even" as possible.

Just to rule out thermometer issues, I've swapped probes and verified against another probe entirely and getting the same thing.

Anyone else seen this before? Thoughts? Perhaps time to separate point/flat and remove point once it is probe smooth as butter?

This is totally normal. The higher fat content in the point causes it too cook faster. This is another great reason to separate the point from the flat.

Keep calm, Smoke on!

Comment

I have had the same issue before. I think it has something to do with the fat/marbeling in the point. I just kept an eye, like you are, and separated them. It is nothing to worry about.

Comment

Thanks Spinaker, usually I cook smaller briskets and am used them being a little closer in temp. I take it the answer is "let it roll" until flat is 190 then start probing for tenderness?

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod has it. The point has plenty of fat to go higher in temp.

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          I have found the point and flat temps to be similar early and into the stall a ways. At higher internal temps, the point climbs faster and higher. Normal to me. I probe the flat for done and forget about the tenderness of the point. The point has more fat content and will be just fine. I separated them when I first got into it. Now I leave them whole and all is good.

Cheers guys, I appreciate it

Comment

Ignore the point temp. Focus on the thickest part of the flat.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed. Temperatures are a guideline. Probe the flat for done, and forget about the point. The point will be just fine when the flat probes done.

To me the point is like a chuck roast. It always is finished first before the flat. That is why I only check the flat. I promise you when the flat is done, the point is perfect.

Comment

Thanks again guys

Comment

You guys couldn’t have been more spot on if you tried. Just pulled it off with the point temping 205 and flat temping 201. Its resting now. Cheers!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                FYI- when smoking only points I make sure and get to at least 205-207. That fat needs to render down. If connected to a flat I worry about the flat only.

A couple pictures of the final product along with one of our party-goers plate.

Best brisket I've ever made by a mile.
              Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful. I experienced the exact same thing today. I'll be reporting with graphs in a day or so.

Comment

• UncleFester
                  UncleFester commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very cool - definitely interested in seeing that!

When I cooked my first brisket I had the same experience and the fine people here gave me the same answer. (And they were spot on.)

Comment

Just did a pastrami over the weekend which I made from a large thick brisket flat. It gave me fits, even after it was wrapped it continued to stall for an hour. I finally socked the heat to it, about 325*, until it yielded. What a fight. Every piece of brisket is different, the more of them I cook, the more that becomes apparent. Just gotta hang in there, heat and time are your friend !!!

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                    BBQ_Bill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @Troutman
                    I actually find it an oddity when two of the three in the same smoker get done around the same time. I am with you in that every cow is different. I wouldn't be surprised if I got the left AND right packer from the same cow and they got done at different times! (Of course the old pitmaster would tell you that would be normal)

Great looking brisket. Glad it came out good fer ya. See, all that worrying fer nuttin.

Comment

Last time this happened to me the point came out like stringy pot roast! Would it be silly to wrap the flat leaving point exposed to even out the temps?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here