Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cook time separating brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook time separating brisket

First time separating a full packer, id like to try meathead’s burnt ends recipe. I’m planning to serve at 6pm tomorrow, just before the Super Bowl on the east coast.

Do do you all think I should start it at midnight like I usually would for the packer? Or maybe 5-6am?

Heres my prime brisket muscles separated out
    Attached Files

I don't see a problem with starting in the morning, really. 12 hours is plenty of time to get it to 200-210

Comment

Wound up starting 5am. About noon now and I just wrapped with butcher paper since they started to stall a couple hrs ago...it’ll be close but I’ll bump up the temp to 250-275 if I need to
      Attached Files

Comment

Oh yeah nothing wrong with going as high as 260-275, particularly near the end of a cook. If anything that's sort of where I usually shoot for. 225 is all well and good but IMO just makes stuff take longer without adding any noticeable benefits.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. I am cooking a flat right now at 275 F. Pretty much my go to temp.

Ditto

Comment

Came out great. Held the point for about 3 hours then set up the burnt ends for an hour. The flat held for 2 hrs. One of my best, and I like the control of each muscle when they’re separated
          Attached Files

Comment

Well done... I mean, nicely done

So please recap total cook time 11 hrs for the point and 9 for the flat?

Comment

Here’s the breakdown:

both on at 5am
              both wrapped at 12pm (7 hrs in)
              point hit 205 at 2pm to hold (9 hrs)
              flat hit 203 at 4pm to hold (11 hrs)
              made the burnt ends from 5-6
              sliced the flat at 6:30
              fell asleep on the couch watching football

Comment

• SpeedyB
                SpeedyB commented
                Editing a comment
                Copy. So when you say hold, you mean pulled and rested?

That butchering looks great. When I try to separate them it ends up looking like Edward Scissor hands was assisting Freddy Krueger shuffle a deck of cards.

Comment

SpeedyB yep

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here