Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rlasky
    replied
    I have never considered this only because of the size of a brisket. The best advice I can think of is what I read on short ribs. Both require low and slow on a grill/smoker to break down connective tissue and collagen, so I imagine they would operate similarly with sous vide. My personal trials with short ribs showed a major difference between 24 hrs at 140F and 72 hours at 140F. But I didn't see a big difference between 48 and 72 hours at 140F so I would give 48 hrs a shot at the recommended 134 that they suggest for 72 hours if no one else has better advice. To me, brisket is all about the bark though, so I can't see me trying this unless I was fiddling with a corned beef/pastrami texture. I am curious to see your results.

**Edit** Didn't fully read your post. I'd do exactly as you are suggesting unless no one else has a better plan. 140, 48 hrs, (maybe re-season), pan sear
    Last edited by Rlasky; February 20, 2015, 05:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    started a topic Sous vide brisket?

Sous vide brisket?

Here's the thing. If you search it, there are suggestions to do the flat to medium rare, suggestions to do the flat to well, suggestions to do the point to well, and suggestions for 175* for 24 hours, 134* for 72 hours, and just about everything in between. There is a suggestion to smoke it first; there is a suggestion to sear it last.

Taking everything I read into consideration, I would do a flat; trim it and rub it; do it for 48 hours at 140*; and then sear it in cast iron at the end.

If you wanted to sous vide a brisket, what would you do?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here