Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the longest stall you have seen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the longest stall you have seen?

Got a brisket cooking right now. So far we are at a 7 hour stall at 170. The kettle has been very steady at 250 all day. This is easily the longest stall I have seen and I hope things progress quickly once we get past it so we can eat tonight.

What is the longest stall you have had to deal with?

I cook at 300-325f and don't even monitor the stall. Crank it up and power through it. 170f you are pretty much finished with the stall at that temp.

Comment

That's a really long stall. Is it foil wrapped? If not, I'd definitely double wrap it tightly with heavy duty foil and add some beef broth in there. I might even bump to 275 and hammer it home. Once I see 190 I'd unwrap and let it finish unwrapped. Good luck! Let us know how it goes

Comment

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        Wrapped in butcher paper for the last 5 hours.

About six months for getting married. Does that count?

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a similar comment in mind, but yours is far superior. I bow to your higher wisecrackness.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike - I am honored.

Update: temp started to climb soon after I posted. I cranked the heat to around 325. Getting very close to done and I should have a bit over an hour to rest it. I usually like 3 or 4 hours to rest but this should do.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Lifes to short to cook at 225f Glad you managed to wrangle that Brisket into obedience .

Somewhere right round fourteen forevers, an then some, on my ol electric Brinkmann Gourmet!!!!!

Comment

I used to have butts go 20+ hr. total cook time in my old electric Masterbuilt. So, the majority of that was stall time.

Comment

I've had a couple of briskets do a double stall on me. First stall in the PBC in the 150s then after I pulled off the barrel around 170ish put in a foil pan, added a little liquid, wrapped and put in the oven. The second around 190ish that actually went backwards to the high 180s.I just cranked up the oven to push it through.

Comment

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            Those double stalls can be frustrating. You think you are cruising but nope. The meat has a different idea.

Forgot to take a pic but the brisket was delicious. Ended up being one of the best I have made. Good crust, very moist, and very tender.

Comment

longest is relative to meat/cut but I had an 11 lb pork butt stall for 8 hours at 225. I'm used to a random stall but the stupid thing stalled twice. Never had that small of a butt stall that long and definitely not twice. Cranked up the heat on the second stall to 300 and it still took forever. End result was still moist, I was super worried. Usually an 11 lber takes about 14 hours this one would have been a 24 hour cook if I hadn't cranked up the heat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here