Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Dry aging and gender specific taste preferences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drobinson003
    replied
    Actually the second pic is 8 days. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• drobinson003
    replied
    Dry aged beef, like many other things, elicits varied opinions. I like it, because it is more tender, tastier, and
    exhibits characteristics not present in wet aged supermarket offerings. I have been dry aging beef for a few years now and have included in this post pics of a 109A —21#— that I started last week. The first pic shows it before putting in the dry age unit, the second shows it in the unit, and the third shows it after 8 days, After dry aging several primal cuts I have settled on 35 days as my preferred length. After 14 days tenderness has maxed and the subsequent time enhances flavor nuances.

Thanks for the study. Always interested in adding knowledge on the subject.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Not that I know of, but feel free to reach out to the authors and ask. I found it by googling, so I don't know more than I read in their study.

• Albrecht
    replied
    Hello Henrik, I've just come across your post looking for materials/books/papers on dry aging (so far I'm working on my dissertation proposal). My research topic is Marketing strategies of dry aging: consumer sensory acceptance and economic expediency. Is there a full English text of the above study? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Stefan

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    It could be. Either way, this calls for some blind tests :-) I'll see what I can come up with.

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    So, I wonder if the leanness is a confounding factor. I don’t know enough about dry aging, as steak houses in the us tend to focus on the LD muscle and it’s close neighbors.

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    No, there was a spread, as they asked people in two malls (when passing by). Their age and gender was noted to keep track of the 'population'. I'm with you on the age factor. Thanks for posting the link, interesting read.

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    This is a lean cut. Getting names right is just impossible. Here's what I think it is in English: https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.co...loin-tip-roast

• Backroadmeats
    commented on 's reply
    That is too funny.. and sadly true!

• JimLinebarger
    replied
    That study does sort of explain some things. Like when a guy finds something that smells horrific and nearly keels over from the stench, he then shares it with another guy, who then smells it and reacts the same. And if possible, the sharing continues with other guys. From my experience, though not extensive, when a woman smells something horrific, she throws it away. She MAY tell you about it but usually you either never know it or you find out when (if) you take out the trash.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Ball tip is the bottom sirloin, is usually pretty lean. Rump is generally a cut of the round, so two different pieces of meat.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    For the study were all the people roughly in the same age group? I know science has shown that age plays a big part in taste preference in addition to gender and race. (shown in studies for asparagus, brussels sprouts, and coriander that I've read previously, but I'm sure there are others)

Found this googling my own question, women overall are more perceptive to taste than men regardless of ethnicity https://academic.oup.com/chemse/arti.../5/449/2366044
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; January 21, 2019, 01:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    lean cut or well marbled?

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, it is a specific cut. I believe the English term is beef rump or ball tip. It was aged then cooked (just like the first cut).

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    What exactly is a roast beef that they aged?

They were hyper specific about the muscle for the steak (strip/eye of rib) but the roast beef is just a roast... was it cooked then aged? is this a specific term in Sweden?

I am into the dry age to about 55 days. I like that funk, to a point. But then again, I also like rosemary to a point and ginger for days.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}