Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off regular topics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off regular topics

Any time we smoke or grill, I'm in charge, but I am not allowed near the oven in the kitchen. So I need to ask about preparing a brisket point in an oven, if I may. My wife does a great job with flats in her oven, but could we use the point in the oven, instead (perhaps during bad weather)? Any change in receipe? Can I slice it the same and would the presentation be as attractive as a sliced flat?

Welcome to the Pit.
    The grill is nothing more then an outdoor oven. Cook to probe tender and cut against the grain. Same as outdoors. Good luck.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Bruce. The only thing different is the loss of smoke flavor. Also, have you calibrated your indoor oven? They are not very accurate.

The BEST way to calibrate is to use a digital thermometer with a min/max function to see how wide the range of temps is. You want your set temp to be in the middle of that range.

If you don't have a min/max thermo., you can watch to see where the low and high temps are.

If you don't have a leave in thermo., you can use a package of refrigerator biscuits. Follow the package directions. If the biscuits are too brown at the minimum recommended time, your oven is running hot. If they are not brown enough at the max recommended time, your oven is running cold.

To adjust, google how to adjust your brand and model number. You might want to check with your wife before adjusting though - she may already be used to compensating if it's not properly calibrated.

Comment

No smoke or smoke ring, but Mothers have been producing great brisket in ovens for centuries. Someone else will chime in but I wonder if a few minutes under the broiler at the end might give you back some nice firm crust. 🤔. And welcome to the Pit with an interesting first question.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Brining with a wee bit of prague powder can get you more smoke ring than a stickburner running cherry. I did it once, and it was comical.

Welcome from southeast Michigan!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! We are happy to have you here, thank you for the support!

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. Good luck with your brisket.

Comment

Welcome from Florida.

Comment

Welcome, Papa. Be sure to let us know how that point turns out for you and Mother Bruce.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois

Comment

Let her keep her oven and be the -Bq god

Comment

Welcome to the pit and enjoy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here