Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

60 Day Dry Aged Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60 Day Dry Aged Brisket

Well I've wet aged brisket and dry aged strip loins but I've never dry aged a brisket. I can't believe the end result in this video. I've never seen brisket this moist. Before I try it I want to know if anyone on this forum has given it a try and achieved the same results.

The first part of the video is instructional as t how to use the Umai dry age bags so it may be boring for some but if you have time click through to the last couple of minutes and let me know what you think.

I can honestly say I've never even seen a brisket like this before yet alone produced one.

I'm having a hard time with this one, and I usually like what the Sous Vide Everything guys do with steaks. Several comments after the video said the fat liquified and produced all that juiciness because of the dry aging process. I've done up to 45 days dry aging a whole ribeye subprimal and never noticed fat liquefying like that, so I'm skeptical. Especially given it was Choice.

Also noticed when he wrapped at the stall that he poured what appeared to be a bunch of water into the foil (at the 4:50 mark of the video). For all we know he doused the whole thing and braised the meat until 185*, at which temp I have never had a brisket probe tender. Again I'm having a hard time believing this one. There's no way I'm going to try it to prove it wrong so I'll just take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I was a bit skeptical about the pull and soak step myself, but I might be willing to take a chance on it.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I got a Prime brisket in my frig that's about 30 days into wet aging, I'm starting to get an itch .... shall I scratch it ?????

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      What do you have to lose? If it goes off the target, you won't care a year from now. If it's on target, "Yeah Baby"!

I've done 4 roasts so far (1 loin, 3 rib) and they've all surpassed my expectations.

Wow!

Comment

Well, this guy is either hosin everybody or it is for real, and he has accomplises. I’ve seen him do a 45 day dry age of a ribeye rack. The outcome is equally stupendous. IMHO this is real. I trust my eyes.
      Then again I know nothing about videos. But, what would be the gain & check the # of viewers. If it were a hose job, there would be some feedback. It is a brisket & regardless of the grade quality, they ain’t cheep. My thoughts. Oh, & WOW!

Comment

Saw that vid when it came out, dang dang good. As proof in the pudding, Greg over at Ballistic BBQ did one of these too. Been wanting to do it myself. May be next on my list.

Comment

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep! I been keeping up with ya and your dry steaks. Trying to figure it out. For all mine, even the 47 day was just dripping in beef love. Odd one.

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          One more thing to try.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I cannot get over how those pieces of meat slice!

Never seen anything like that. I've had juicy for sure, but that is off the hook.

Comment

Yeah, I’m definitely skeptical of this one.

Comment

Interesting. That mold would probably turn me off though.

Comment

Dry aging has it's benefits if you don't mind letting a brisket sit for 60 days. But turning a choice brisket into Japanese A5 Wagyu is not one of them. After that statement the rest of the video became extremely suspect imo.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree, it's not gonna turn into an A5. Very suspect. Either way, I'm gonna dry age my own and see what I think of it.

OK I'm officially taking one for the team. I was out of Umai bags (thought I had one more) so I ordered some last night. They'll be here next Tuesday. That will put my wet aged Prime brisket from Costco right around 30 days of aging wet, I'll go 45 more days of dry aging, cook it and we'll see my results. One way or the other I intend to support or debunk this story. I'm hoping it comes out really good, looking forward to this little journey

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                You and Henrik takin it for the team. Well, we’re behind ya all the way Troutman! Yeah, move em to Missouri men! I guess I’m gettin a little carried away there, sorry. 🕶

Looking forward to the results Troutman you're experiment will be the truth teller. My guess is it's going to be somewhere in between what the guy in the video says and what some of the more skeptical of us believe. 75 days of watching a brisket in the fridge that's a whole summer where I'm from I'd have to plan a cold weather cook even if I started the aging in April!!

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, on the whole summer thing. 🕶

Originally posted by jgreen View Post
              Interesting. That mold would probably turn me off though.
              Wipe it off with a paper towel that has some cider vinegar on it. White mold is harmless.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Moldy outer layer gets cut off anyway. You probably ingest more mold in any given day then will ever show up on that brisket.

Here's another Ballistic BBQ dry age brisket video where he does a 30 day one. It's two part, this is the actual cook. It looks more like what I expected, good and juicy, pull tender but NOT gushing juice like Niagra Falls. He did say that there was virtually no stall and again it was probe tender at 187*. Should be interesting to see how I fair ....

Comment

While I have a vague dislike of Guga and Ninja, a couple things strike me.

1: water loss from dry aging is mostly from the outside. This makes me think the stall would be minimal if at all.

2: the meat should be more tender than a wet age, due to the dry age, so I could see it being probe tender at a lower temp.

3: the behavior of intramuscular fat on a brisket cook would not be like that of a steak, because of the difference in cooking time and the final temp. Fat doesn’t render at 130*, so you’d never have it "liquify" in a dry aged steak. At 185 or beyond the fat should be mostly rendered, and thus the liquid.

4: anyone who says it will make choice into a5 wagyu is either lying or has never eaten A5 wagyu. While brisket is inherently fatty, a5 brisket is so nice they are nearly impossible to find outside Japan. Prime short ribs could pinch hit for A5 Zabuton, due to the marbling, but dry aging doesn’t increase the fat. Larding would, though.

I guess i believe it, but I wouldn’t 60 day Dry age steak (oddly, 55 is the furthest steak I enjoy, and I think I’d limit the brisket to 45 for personal preference).

Comment

I agree with you on the fat liquifying but that would occur in any brisket, aged or not. The assumption that I'm drawing from the videos is that the meat is more tender (which I agree with since I've dry aged numerous subprimals from the rib and loin) and that somehow the fat liquefaction flows like Niagra Falls (due somehow to the aging process). That's the part I find hard to believe. Aging a brisket isn't going to somehow produce more liquified fat. And if it does I'd like to know the chemistry behind that because it seems more like theatrical alchemy in my mind.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here