Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I used Umai dry age bag to age ribeye roast for 29 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used Umai dry age bag to age ribeye roast for 29 days

I decided to give the Umai dry aging bags a try. Here are my pics of the process. Getting the roast in the bag was something, for sure. I ruined one bag figuring it out. I think the real problem was I had never used the vacuseal before.

A few things:
    1. MAKE SURE to roll back the edge of the bag as you're sliding it in. You want to keep the inside ends clean.
    2. The weird part of the instructions where it tells you to seal a diagonal corner didn't make sense, but I finally understood it. It's because the bag is too wide to fit in the sealer w/o doing that.

Here's how it looked before sealing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dry1.jpg
Views:	1404
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	618968

After a week

Name:	dry2a.jpg
Views:	1381
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	618967

Two weeks

Name:	dry3.jpg
Views:	1381
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	618970

29 days. (I was going to do 28, but calculated wrong.)

Name:	dry4.JPG
Views:	1162
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	618974

I decided to slice the steaks into 2" wide steaks. I did that before trimming off the dryed edges. I thought that would be easier. I will say cutting the aged ribeye roast into steaks was some of the hardest cutting I've ever done. It was a lot harder to cut than fresh meat and it was very thick.

This is what they lucked after cutting but before trimming. Click image for larger version

Name:	dry7.JPG
Views:	1181
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	618976

Name:	dry6.JPG
Views:	1145
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	618972

After trimming, but since I've never trimmed ribeyes, I think that huge fat section was unnecessary.

Name:	dry8.JPG
Views:	1138
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	618969

Here they are all shrink wrapped ready for the freezer. (I'll cook one fresh).

​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	dry11.JPG
Views:	1148
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	618971

This is a 10" wide bowl of all the trimmed off portions. I saute'd it, put it in the instapot and made enough "beef love" to fill one ice tray with it. I then used that beef love when I seared the steak! ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​

Name:	dry10.JPG
Views:	1145
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	618977

Best steak I ever cooked. Here's what it looked like being seared after 45 mins at 225

Name:	dry13.jpg
Views:	1127
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	618978 ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	dry12.jpg
Views:	1130
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	618979 ​​​​​​​

I declare this project a success!
    Attached Files

Awesome work, including the rendering of the trimmings to made dry aged beef love. Bet that would be awesome to use to sear burgers too

Comment

Great write up of th process, an tutorial, Brother!
      So glad to hear it was a wild success!

Comment

Yeah, great write up. This is something im continually interested in but the wife does not really like the taste of dry aged beef so ive never invested in it. Maybe one day...

Either way, looks delicious. Would love to see the sliced pics...

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          An internal shot one you dug into what looks like the perfect steak! Ie the money shot, lol

• wcpreston
          wcpreston commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, THAT sliced pic. I'll do that next time I cook one or two.

• Joe Kurzeja
          Joe Kurzeja commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m with you, my wife isn’t very keen on aged meat. Oh well, I’m going to do it anyway. Lol

Hopefully not to hijack - here are a couple of mine, between 35-40 days, depending on the piece of meat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170514_162917.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.46 MB ID:	619089Click image for larger version  Name:	20170514_163556.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	619090Click image for larger version  Name:	20171120_150020.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.30 MB ID:	619091Click image for larger version  Name:	20171120_152730.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.08 MB ID:	619092

This is from that first batch - 36 days.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170514_204455.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	619119
        Well, you get the idea. Just tell her she can have something else! ;-)
        Last edited by EdF; January 5, 2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          That was really just a matter of the cut of beef. I tend not to trim dry-aged pieces very aggressively. I figure they can always be trimmed on the plate if that's the preference. Some of us like the outside flavor. First two pics were rib roast; the other two were loin roast. Cooked one is rib.

• wcpreston
          wcpreston commented
          Editing a comment
          That explains why it looked so different. When I look at the first pic, I see that chunk of fat at the end.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, that's rib roast! wcpreston

They all look great.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, I need to try using a bag for dry aging one of these days.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            MattTheGR8, I tried using my 4000 series food saver to seal the Umai bag. This is one of machines that senses when you have inserted a bag, and then closes the sealing bar and starts the process. Total disaster. There is not enough rigidity in the Umai bags to allow that. Their website warns against trying to use the automatic machines. I borrowed a 2000 series Food Saver machine from my daughter. This requires a manual closing of the machine, and therefore allows one to place the floppy

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            ..floppy bag onto the sealing bar, then close the lid and start. RE: the mini fridge, the Umai website warns against the mini fridges because they don't bring outside air into the inside, to decrease the humidity and allow drying through their bags. I suppose if you open and close the refrigerator a few times a day you would accomplish the air exchange to allow drying.

• MattTheGR8
            MattTheGR8 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Dr. Pepper, that's great information. My sealer is a Weston Pro-2300 with a manual door, so no issues with regard to an automatic. One benefit to using a bag is that I can dry age a larger roast than will fit in my mini fridge. However, it's good to know that the mini fridge also doesn't move enough air to keep the bags properly dry.

Nicely done. Thanks for sharing. I do want to try this.

Comment

So how does that bag work.. I have never seen these !! It lets moisture out???

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Lets the moisture escape, but keeps the meat with access to air. The bag is perforated. The enzymatic action starts where the bag contacts the surface of the meat.

Since I am new to the pit, what is "beef love?". I tried to search but anything with beef in it keeps showing up

Comment

Great job wcpreston, welcome to the Umai club !!!!!

Name:	dry age step 7.jpg
Views:	1211
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	619500

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              as awesome as it must have been try a flight of dry aged steaks...im not sure id be down for the last couple, lol.

• wcpreston
              wcpreston commented
              Editing a comment
              grantgallagher Agreed LOL

• ddmcwhirter
              ddmcwhirter commented
              Editing a comment
              I like to sear my rib roast, from the cold, before smoking. Looking at your pellicul, I'm thinking what a fantastic base for a hard sear, maybe using the pear burner, turning it into a crust, then rubbing with gooey oily fresh spices, then smoking slow with lots of smoke.

I've never had a dry aged steak but this is interesting. I just read above that the bags are perforated and let's moisture out and keeps the meat in contact with the air, but what temperature and humidity must the meat be at to keep it from spoiling? Is just a regular refrigerator suitable enough so that aging the beef is really as simple as putting it in the bag sealing it and putting it in the fridge for a few weeks?

Comment

• wcpreston
              wcpreston commented
              Editing a comment
              The whole point of the bags is to be able to do dry aging in a refrigerator. Regular fridge temps are fine. The answer to your last question is yes.

Yes, it is that simple. They are made to go into your regular fridge. You do want to have the meat on a metal rack of some sort so air can get on all sided. Most fridges don't have metal rack shelving anymore.

Comment

• wcpreston
              wcpreston commented
              Editing a comment
              ILikePigButts I LOVE your username

• ILikePigButts
              ILikePigButts commented
              Editing a comment
              grantgallagher none really. I have an Earth Fare about 25 minutes away. Better off just getting one at a restaurant sometime I think.

• ILikePigButts
              ILikePigButts commented
              Editing a comment
              wcpreston Thanks. Got it from a t-shirt my father-in-law gave me from a company sponsored hog roast. Wish I could have been there myself though!

wcpreston I was re-reading this post and caught your reference to using an instapot to render your beef love. Can you share how you did that?

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              You will not regret making that! I literally have jars and jars of it in my fridge. Wagyu too!

• PappyBBQ
              PappyBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I do this all the time with trimmings rendering low in a saute pan, but I have't dry aged yet (on my plan) and the instapot thing caught my eye.

• wcpreston
              wcpreston commented
              Editing a comment
              I sauted them until brown then put some water in and steam cooked them for multiple cycles. Then I pulled out the juices and put it in an ice tray. It's about 90% rendered fat w/a little bit of water here/there.

Just got my bags a few days ago. Now to get the roast!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here