Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injecting brisket.... new test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injecting brisket.... new test

OK, wanting to try the Kosmos Q reserve blend brisket injectant so I looked for some beef bouillon to mix it with---no luck. But I noticed I had just about half the desired liquid volume left of Texas Mop sauce more or less exactly as from the website... I was making all new sauces for a big cook this weekend so I added a little water and the powder and injected away. I had dry cured it for 24 hours prior...well, we will see. I also mixed the same rub in with some apple juice and squirted it into a big boston butt. the ribs go on as usual with just MMD but I will sauce them with a mix of the KC BBQ sauce and some raspberry preserves and then blow torch them. Add 5 links of spicy sausage and a score of bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos, creamed corn, beans and a bunch of friends and it should be a good party. Unfortunately it starts 6PM Friday so I will be up EARLY to put the brisket and pork on.

Whoa! Good Luck! Sounds like an awesome cook. Let us know how things go! I hear you when it comes to EARLY.

Dang! What a menu!

--Ed

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	big cook.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	61810 I have done it before.....

Comment

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        OK! ( from The Terminator... ) "Give me directions there"

UFB, Looks Great!

--Ed

The bullion is mostly salt, so as long as the injecting liquid is salty enough, you'll be fine. Judging by your above pic, you already nailed it down. Excellent pic! Now, I'm hungry...

Comment

Originally posted by Strat50 View Post
        ...Now, I'm hungry...
        Uh, me too. Congrats, frac on that beautiful cook.

Kathryn

Comment

Frac set your Yoder to 200F and throw all the big meats on tonight around 11:30! They'll be done by 6 guaranteed.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n62019[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n62020[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n62021[/ATTACH] Thanks Dave. It is now 12:30 and I put them all on at 3:45 AM. I put the brisket on the top rack and the temps in it vary from 152 to 138. The BIG pork butt is 155. I have crutched the brisket and leaving it on top. The ribs wnet on at 12:30 on the bottom rack.

Comment

• OGMrWhite
              OGMrWhite commented
              Editing a comment
              looks good! Is that a little chef sampler on the right side of the bottom rack? always a good idea on a big cook, IMO.

Good eye.

Yes, I like to cut a bit off the flat so I know which way the grain is running for slicing. and of course that piece gets done pretty quick. It is now 4:30 and the brisket is only at 178. I am hoping for some nice heating up in the next hour and a half! Dinner may not start at the stroke of 6 since the ribs aren't done either. Might be time to go from 225 to 275.

The other thing I wasn't happy with.... stuck my temp probe in the brisket and pierced the bottom foil...lots of very nice smelling juice wasted. sigh
            Last edited by fracmeister; February 13, 2015, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fracmeister View Post
              .... stuck my temp probe in the brisket and pierced the bottom foil...lots of very nice smelling juice wasted. sigh
              Hate it when that happens. I always put my thumb on the probe now so that it's in a position that looks like it equals about half way through the brisket & push it in till my thumb hits the meat. Gets you pretty close & keeps you safe from over shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post

Hate it when that happens. I always put my thumb on the probe now so that it's in a position that looks like it equals about half way through the brisket & push it in till my thumb hits the meat. Gets you pretty close & keeps you safe from over shooting.
                Thanks for the tip. Everything turned out awesome.

Comment

I bet you made a lot of folks happy with that cook, fracmeister. Nice going.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here