Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Blends Into 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 Blends Into 2019

Well we've said goodbye to 2018 and ushered in 2019. 2018 was an interesting year full of triumphs and tragedies (and that's talking about my cooking ) but one thing I can say was it was another good year with my AR friends and family. You guys and gals have become a big part of my day and have surely been inspirational to my cooking. It seems the harder I try to come up with something new, the more I get blown away by the pictures of the deliciousness that all of you create. So much food to cook, oh so little time. At any rate, let me just say Happy New Year to all of you and look forward to what 2019 brings to our community !!!

Chapter One

Now for the last cook of 2018, New Years' Eve. Momma keeps talking about getting a big honker tomahawk steak, so as I'm cruising through Costco sure enough they have their epic meat case open and low and behold there those little jewels are. I mean a case full of tomahawk, bone in ribeyes is enough to bring a man to his knees. Far be it from be to pass this case of pure delight up, so I pick the biggest and fattest one I could spy with my face and hands literally peeled to the glass. Yes, I'll take that one....

Click image for larger version  Name:	steak 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	728.0 KB ID:	617453

I mean check out the Spinalis Dorsi on that mother. Well salt applied and into the frig for a good brining. The evening of New Years Eve, as fireworks are literally bursting all around me like friggin' World War III, I slap this baby on the old gasser....

Click image for larger version  Name:	steak 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	817.1 KB ID:	617454

So why the gasser you say? Well with all this talk of rotisseries and whatnot, I thought it fitting that I close then open the year with my Weber Summit. Let me tell yea, although I'm a confirmed smoker guy, I still use this great cooker for a variety of things and making a mean steak is one of them. It's hard to top it's precise cooking temps and ability to sear.

Well the proof is in the results and I gotta tell yea we nailed it, I mean this steak literally had fork tender, melt in you mouth epic goodness. The best steak I've had in months, definitely right up there with last meal on earth proportions....

Click image for larger version  Name:	steak 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	766.0 KB ID:	617456Click image for larger version  Name:	steak 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	696.0 KB ID:	617457

Also tried a new finishing salt that I sprinkled over the top that gave it an additional kick. Served with homemade mac and cheese, a mango pico and a mushroom medley; old Troutman barely made midnight as I blissfully settled into my recliner, wine in hand and fireworks blazing away .....

Click image for larger version  Name:	steak 05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	379.5 KB ID:	617455
    Click image for larger version  Name:	steak 06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	958.7 KB ID:	617458

Chapter Two

Well I awaken abruptly to the wife coaxing me out of bed at 6:30 am on New Year's morning. I mean come on, let me at least sleep off the previous night's vestifities. But noooo, I had to get up and cook 10# of pork loin I had dry brining in the garage fridge as I had promised some friends I would cook for a party being thrown this day.

Okay well we're going to make this easy. The gasser did such a good job on the previous night's steak that now it's time to hook up the rotisserie and do me some pork loins. Along with that, while they were spinning, I did a big pot of black-eyed peas made with bacon and ham hokes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pork loin 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	974.1 KB ID:	617459

Yea the old Weber summit did her job once more and produced some pretty good pork. Used two layers of seasoning, first was salt, pepper and garlic followed by a healthy dose of Killer Hogs BBQ Rub. I finished with a glaze of honey habanero sauce that gave it that final sweet-heat finish. Pulled it at 140* internal and let it rest ....

Click image for larger version  Name:	pork loin 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	961.2 KB ID:	617460

I gotta say, the old gasser performed flawlessly once again with little or no cleanup needed. Sometimes cooking with propane can be a pretty sweet deal. We took the meat and the pot of beans and the leftover mac and cheese and treated our friends to a great meal, simple but filling .....

Click image for larger version  Name:	pork loin 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	703.9 KB ID:	617461

Well thanks for following along on my 48 hours sojourn into cooking, eating an celebrating the old into the new. Again Happy New Years to all of you in AR land, we look forward to another great year of cooking in 2019 !!!

Good on ya, Troutman!

Comment

Superb! Mouth watering.

Comment

Both cooks look fantastic. I would eat both, no questions asked. Nicely done.

Comment

I'll bet that didn't suck.

Comment

That's an epic new year celebration right there, nicely done!

Comment

Great ending and beginning...

Comment

Outstanding stuff!

Question on the rotisserie cook. I think I spied a rotisserie burner on your grill. Do you run with that or run outside burners? i ask because I have a rotisserie burner on my grill, have thought of getting the spit and motor, but just curious as to how you went about for this beautimus pork loin!

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good question. Here's what I've found on mine. I turn the two outside burners on the desired cooking temp (monitored by a grate prob) and roast the meat indirect until I get close to the final IT. I then apply a glaze or a final mop and crank up the infrared burner to give the meat a good sear and set the glaze. You can also do the whole cook with it but for things like chicken it tends to burn the skin before the inside is done, so the combo indirect/infrared burners works best.

• barelfly
                  barelfly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the reply Troutman !

I have always loved going to a few Middle East markets in town and getting schawarma off the spits! Just great flavor and tenderness to the meat.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know right? I'm also a huge gyro fan. I'd love to have a vertical spit, there are some reasonable ones out there with infrared sear burners I've been looking at. Also looking at some YouTube videos on different meat stack recipes. All good stuff !!!

Nicely done Troutman! Made me hungry again.

Comment

Amazing Troutman. What a way to celebrate the New Year. Cheers!

Comment

Very good looking pork loin!

Comment

Great write-up Steve! I can't echo your sentiments enough. In public safety it is common to develop whole groups of people that are as close as family and this bunch of merry pranksters here on AR are no different.

Comment

Wow!!! This is spectacular! This is a great write up and thank you for sharing. I am looking forward to what 2019 brings as well, I hope the rotisserie thing really takes off in The Pitmaster Club, it would be cool to be able to expand into a new area.

Happy New Year, sir!

Comment

Sweet! Life is good and so is the eating.

Comment

Great post and pictures.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here