Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this gristle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this gristle?

NY Strip whole roast. USDA prime. I’m cutting into steaks.

Is that gristle?

Cut it it out of the steak? Able to be grounded into burgers or is that a bad idea?
    Attached Files

Looks like gristle to me, but unless you can trim carefully you would lose some good fat.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      I definitely saved a lot of good fat! I’ll have to trim out the gristle...

That's easy to trim out with a fillet knife if you feel it needs to go.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I got some off and left others. I guess we’ll see which one I like best!!

Indeed that is gristle. All NY strips have that. If grinding, I remove most of it but a bit does not hurt. If just grilling a steak I leave it and cut around it. Unless I decide to eat it too!

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      I will admit I don't mind eating it I kind of like the texture in small doses.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      I can eat boat loads of gristle. Love it.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with @Ahumadora... I would never cut the gristle from a strip, as I love the textural contrast with the beef. That said, if I were into sausage making, I'd trim and add it judiciously to the sausage grind... gives you a nice textural contrast there, as well, a bit of that Q texture that is so popular in Asia.

Just cut up my 45 day dry aged NY Strip I got from SRF. Dang dang DELISH!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0429.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.37 MB ID:	617235
    Last edited by lonnie mac; January 1, 2019, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow homeboy! Looks awesome! I don’t have dry age capability YET!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, they look good!

lonnie mac what do you suggest I do with all the extra fat? Beef love? Grind it for sausages? Grind it for burgers?

I feel like I have too much fat to make burgers or sausages for the 80/20-ish rule. So I’d have to go buy more meat.

I do have some NY strip meat that is mixed in with the fat.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      And perhaps some less expensive meat to mix in for burgers or sausage?

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Go for the beef love thing. Can't have too much of that around.

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF good idea. I have so much of it, I’ll probably estimate 70/30 for burgers or sausage, then beef love the rest of it.

I usually grind 70-30 myself. I use part of this fat to season the grill right before I lay on the steak. I usually use tongs and hold the steak and rub the fat cap all over the grill grates. Dang good! All my trimmings from this will go to grind using whatever meats I choose. Usually brisket or chuck eye steaks.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely. I use brisket flat with brisket or other fat to make 70/30 burgers all the time.

Or you can use the fat to make some homemade bratwurst or other sausage patties.

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks lonnie mac and Polarbear777 !! I did brats the other week but I need other sausage and maybe some burgers! And at $2.99 per pound of brisket at Costco, I may need to go buy me some! Then I’ll only have the point to smoke which is perfect!

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, sometimes brisket is cheaper/lb than chuck or even "ground beef".

As already mentioned, that is gristle, and is an integral part of a NY strip. Cut 'em out, as well as a 1/8" fat trim and grind the gristle and fat for sausage, or whatever. If you are cutting steaks, just trim as you go, just like the fat. If you are are going to roast the whole strip, then cut it out while executing your overall trim. In any case, the gristle has more use in other cooking than as a discardable piece of steak. That collagen is like gold for stocks and ground meats.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect! Great advice! Thanks!

lonnie mac Polarbear777 what sausages are there for all beef? I got a brisket today from Costco and can start grinding! Its easy to make burger patties, and maybe some Italian meatballs. But besides an all beef hotdog, is there a style of sausage I’m missing for all beef?

Comment

• Strat50
      Strat50 commented
      Editing a comment
      Beef makes superb homemade hot dogs. Same with salami, but that is more of a cured meat than fresh, which requires a different set up. All beef polish sausage is also great.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Google says: https://www.google.com/search?q=beef...hrome&ie=UTF-8

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I use whatever I have on hand for sausages. Usually all beef. As long as the fat/lean ratio is right it will work and be good. (Though not authentic).

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here