Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for THE corned beef recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for THE corned beef recipe

Good evening Pitmasters.

I’ve finally got my briskets where they need to be and am ready to spice things up a bit.

I’ve done Meatheads close to Katz a number of times when making Pastrami from store bought corned beef.

I’d like to take the training wheels off this time and make the corned beef from scratch.

What say you?!?!
    Any go to corned beef recipes floating around?

Would love to hear from you.

Cheers,
    Walt

Go back one step

Why spend the time making our homemade corned beef recipe? Because it is so much better than anything you could buy at the grocery store!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Can I get an amen? Best corned beef ever. Take it one step further and smoke some pastrami.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman - Amen! Such a simple process and good eats!

Absolutely do Meathead’s corned beef recipe!

In another cooking group that I’m part of, I’ve also heard really good reviews of Alton Brown’s recipe, so posting that here as well

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman I know, right? but yeah, a group called Food Hackers on facebook

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      FWIW, the Alton Brown recipe uses saltpeter, which Meathead and others argue is (a) no longer required and (b) has safety carcinogenic issues. So although I'm a big AB fan, I'll stick to Meathead's recipe.

Here's an article that backs up why Meathead's not a fan of saltpeter:
      The long read: Decades’ worth of research proves that chemicals used to make bacon do cause cancer. So how did the meat industry convince us it was safe?

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      wcpreston ..... I always use Doc Blonder’s brining calculator and no saltpeter. If I used AB’s recipe, I would substitute a Blonder brine for those parts of the ingredients.

I am two days shy of finishing my "corning" of a brisket. I will definitely be smoking it to make pastrami, since that was the whole point. I have to say the brine smells amazing every day I stir it.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I would love to see pics and comments of the whole process

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      planning on it

Making the Close to Katz recipe with Meathead's Corned Beef makes it the best recipe on the site! Insane amounts of flavor!

Comment

I recently did the Sous vide q version of pastrami with a choice brisket flat. Works great also. Click image for larger version

Name:	D430BE25-6255-44A3-9153-71AA697FCC01.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	616139Click image for larger version

Name:	4BFAAA62-A420-4292-9447-B4642A84772D.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	616140

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s gold right there! Man get me a couple slices of rye bread, Swiss and a scoop of kraut for that!

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        As for the kraut, it's worth it to make your own. It's really easy and much tastier than store bought. Here's a reliable method to use if you want to give it a try -- https://www.makesauerkraut.com/sure-...raut-in-a-jar/

I've made Michael Ruhlman's corned beef, then taken it to pastrami from there. http://blog.ruhlman.com/2016/03/homemade-corned-beef/

Can't compare with Meathead's since I haven't made it yet, but the kudos above speak for themselves.

Comment

• wcpreston
        wcpreston commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm sure the recipe is solid. What I like about Meathead's recipe is how much attention he pays to the safety issues when scaling the recipe. Specifically, the curing salts part. I was able to use the calculator he provided to scale it to much larger. No one seems to be talking about that on that blog, which concerns me.

Not sure you would get a huge difference in flavour from tweaking the recipe for the corning process. That is mainly about getting the right salt and curing powder into the meat. I would make Meatheads version and then decide how you finish it, pastrami or otherwise.

Comment

Also serious eats version. Uses a dry version but since it isn’t a brine it may not scale too well.

Comment

Appreciate all the responses.

I will do meatheads corned beef recipe first.
          Didnt see it in my version of his book, but found it on the forum.

Hope Everyone is having a safe and Happy New Year.
          Cheers

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here