Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did another prime rib yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did another prime rib yesterday

Our daughter and son-in-law are with us, so we decided to have another go with prime rib on the Grand Slam.

This was 7.3lbs, much bigger than the one we had for just the two of us at Thanksgiving.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181229_123456.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	615952

All dressed up and ready for the smoker! Used Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust as the rub after dry brining overnight.

After a little more than 3.5 hours, we were at 115 F. I pulled it from the Grand Slam and put it on the Lodge Griddle I placed on the Weber gasser, about 3 or 4 minutes per side. Final result below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181229_164348.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	615953

Everyone enjoyed it, very happy with the results for an early New Year's celebration feast!

Top notch!

Comment

• AmosMoses01
      AmosMoses01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron!

Very, very nice!

Comment

• AmosMoses01
      AmosMoses01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ed!

😮 Beautiful!

Comment

• AmosMoses01
      AmosMoses01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Da man, nice, cook.

Comment

• AmosMoses01
      AmosMoses01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

What temperature did you finish out at? I'm curious because I followed the same recipe and only came up to 127 or so. i do like the idea of a griddle for the sear. i am thinking of the grillgrates for my gasser. i wonder if they would do as well as the Lodge

Comment

Originally posted by SparkDog View Post
      What temperature did you finish out at? I'm curious because I followed the same recipe and only came up to 127 or so. i do like the idea of a griddle for the sear. i am thinking of the grillgrates for my gasser. i wonder if they would do as well as the Lodge
      I didn't measure the final temperature, but gauging with ye olde eye-thermometers, it was definitely above 130 throughout. My wife prefers hers closer to medium than medium rare, and so do my daughter and son-in-law. No one complained, and I found it to be satisfactorily towards the medium-rare side of the spectrum. (Or, maybe I've convinced them that medium-rare is better. )Next time I'll use the instant-probe to see where it finishes for sure, but I can only guess at this one.

I initially was going to get grillgrates for my pellet smoker, but the kind folk here advised it wouldn't do wonders on a pellet smoker. I had the Lodge sitting doing nothing, and it was much cheaper than the grill grates would have cost me for the gasser.

The only thing about the Lodge in my application is that it is about a quarter inch too long to rest perfectly on the Weber Genesis I have, so it is resting over the front lip of the grill, but I've found that if I don't have it sitting directly over the sear station, I can't get it over 400 F end to end. Even at the slight angle it is on resting on the lip, it gets over 550F front to rear, verified with an IR thermometer ... That may not be the best searing temperature, but that's the best I can do with what I've got right now, and I can't complain with how things have come out.

Comment

• SparkDog
        SparkDog commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks AmosMoses01 for your reply. I have a lodge skillet in the house not doing anything so I may give it a try. It may be especially useful since I just purchased a Weber kettle and now am looking at the toys for that. Something that a week ago I didn't even know I needed.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here