Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked some pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked some pastrami

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181229_204804725.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	615741Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181229_203031422.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	615742 Sliced 21 lbs of pastrami last night.. turned out great!!

21 pounds...now that's ambitious!!! Let us know you method, big pastrami fans here !!!

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      If you would like I will give ya step by step what I did.. it is very easy to do..

Cripes, what cut of meat is that??? I LOVE me some homemade pastrami, made some myself the other night:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Attach42476_20181227_210500-X2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	615757

I'm always disappointed in my yield.... I did a 4 lb flat and a 3ish lb point. After smoking, chilling and then steaming up to temp, I ended up with a hair over 2 pounds of pastrami! Man, that stuff came out to probably $20 a pound counting buying the corned beef and the pellets to smoke it, not counting the electricity (steamed it in the oven) and my own time messing with it! Don't get me wrong, it was fabulous, but... dang.

So did you cure your own, and what cut was it? And if so, how long did you brine it to get that thick cut completely cured?

Comment

The meat is roast from the round of an old hamburger cow I butchered. Yup I cured it.. I use a cure I buy made by ps spices called sweeter than sweet cure . It contains the sugar cure and salt.. I use the same thing to make hams and Bacon's.. just take the cure and rub generously then I vacuum sealer and throw in the fridge for two weeks.. soak in water for a few hours the rub down outside with coarse pepper and smoke!!

Comment

Pics of it in the smoker Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181225_101535687.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	615771

Comment

Fabulous! Thanks for the pics!

Comment

Wow. Nice job. Pastrami is wonderful.

Comment

Gorgeous

Comment

I'd eat that.

Comment

Looks amazing! 21 lbs??!! WoW! I'm attempting my first pastrami right now - cured it myself using Meathead's method and will be smoking it tomorrow.

Comment

Okay, alright, damnit, I get it ...... I gotta do some pastrami .... message received loud and clear

Also .... Backroadmeats that looks darn good ..... sammiches for days

Comment

Best part was right before I sliced it the neighbor lady gave me a loaf and of bread right out of the oven.. best sandwiches ever!!

Comment

• ecowper
                        ecowper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Okay, that just sounds like heaven on earth

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Truly great!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here