Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef dino ribs today - suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    replied
    So yeah... turns out these were just in a stall, but fairly high. Coupla spots now in the 204 range, some in the 170ish range. Weird.

So I've moved 'em down to the lower rack for the last few minutes, should be having dinner in about 20. I'll take some pics. Or try to, anyways. lol

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    Yup. What Troutman said. Their looking good. But they need to bark over.
    You can take plates to 200-210*. And if they sit in a cambro longer they only get better. I usually put them to bed for 2-3hrs.
    You’re gonna be golden. 👍👍👊👊

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    replied
    Yup, you're right, I've turned it back up. No worries. We'll be fine, they're gonna be great!

Leave a comment:

• Red Man
    replied
    Originally posted by tRidiot View Post

I just probed them with my Thermopop and they are very tender, temps around 180ºF already, at 3 hours! They will be completely done in an hour or an hour and a half at this rate! I've been running 265ºF, so I'm going to drop them to around 230ºF now, so I can stretch them out a little bit.
    Turning the temp down that much is gonna create a stall. It’s probably too late, but I wouldn’t do it. Two or three hours in the cambro if needed won’t hurt anything.

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    Yep, just keep going!

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Great looking pull back....wait on that dark colored bark !!! Bring 'em up over 200*, keep probing....

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I've used a bourbon/sweet glaze before...totally awesome !!

• Frozen Smoke
    replied
    You're well on your way! Looking good!

Leave a comment:

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    replied
    How do these look????

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181230_153038-X2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	615866

Leave a comment:

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve B View Post
    Do plate "Dino Ribs" cook longer on the east coast?🤔. I have never had plate ribs take any less than 8hrs. I have gone anywhere from 225*-275*. Maybe the laws of physics are different over here. 😁. As I also see that EdF is the only other one who needs more time for this cook being in NJ.
    Not that I’ve tried it before but I friend of mine on IG cooks his dino ribs meat side down. Says it gives it much better bark. Something I will try. And do a side by side test. One up and one down.

Anyway good luck with your cook and show us some pics. 👍👍👍

I just probed them with my Thermopop and they are very tender, temps around 180ºF already, at 3 hours! They will be completely done in an hour or an hour and a half at this rate! I've been running 265ºF, so I'm going to drop them to around 230ºF now, so I can stretch them out a little bit.

Leave a comment:

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    commented on 's reply
    3 hours in, I just probed them and they are running 177-181 throughout. Well pulled back from the bone and looking like they should be DONE in about an hour, hour and a half! Wow! I am going to turn the temp down a bit...

• rwalters
    commented on 's reply
    Oops,I guess I should mention...I don’t use Parkay in the recipe. Details are important...lol. I actually spritz w/ 50/50 ACV/Apple juice until the last two hours, then I start mopping w/ the maple/bourbon glaze for a total of 3 times. It’s like candied beef, but you definitely taste the beef. Maybe not for everyone, but I’ve never not seen soneone clean the bone

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    replied
    I didn't think about cutting them into pairs, that probably would make them cook quicker. Well, we'll see how they go. I had them at 275, have lowered it to 265, I'll just play it by ear and see.

I could always cut 'em into pairs even now...

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I'll bet they are tasty but a little heavy on the mopping for me, especially Parkay every 30 minutes...yuck. I like to taste the meat not the junk.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I routinely cook them on my pellet cooker at about 250* and they get probe tender at about 6 hours, give or take. I then rest for about 1 hour, sometimes 2. So total 7-8 hours.

And this may matter, I don't cook whole plates. I either go in twos or single, I generally buy 3 bone rib plates. If I buy 4 bone chuck rib plates it's two and two.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here