Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef dino ribs today - suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef dino ribs today - suggestions?

Couple months ago I picked up a Prime brisket and Prime dino ribs from Costco and had to throw them out when I forgot and left them in the cooler without ice. It was a tragic day, throwing away $100 worth of amazing meat, but I had too much going on at the time and kept putting ice in the ice chest for a couple days (we don't have diddly for fridge room) and finally forgot one day.

So yesterday I used my Costco cash back certificate and bought them again - a 14lb Prime brisket and a double rack of dino ribs. I'm going to do the brisket on NYE for New Year's Day. I got up this morning hankering for brisket, and I've been re-reading the tutorial pages, watching videos and looking at brisket cooks here in The Pit, but I just don't have time to do it right today, so I'm going to do it Monday night. So today, I figure I can knock out those 2 plates of dinos in about 6 hours or thereabouts, but I've never really done these before. So I'm open to ideas...

Right now I'm going to salt them and let them sit for an hour or so, I'll check back. My plan is probably to use Oak Ridge Black Ops rub, unless I'm too short on it (have about half a bag) and need to save all of it for my brisket tomorrow night.

Probably make some beans to pan underneath the ribs to catch drippings. Those shouldn't be on there for 6 hours though, right? Timing this is a little new for me, I usually just cook the meat on the smoker (Yoder YS480). I figure maybe throw the beans on a couple hours in, since that's when the fat will start rendering the most, anyways, right? I don't want the beans to turn to mush from being cooked too long.

Any specific tips on the ribs, besides pulling off the membrane? I have a Fireboard, but the probes are thick and I don't think I will get good, accurate readings on the ribs trying to fit them in-between the bones, right? I never worry about temps on my pork ribs, but again, beef ribs are new to me.

Should I just use my instant-read Thermopops, or go by feel from the meat pulling back from the bones, or what?

<edit>
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20181230_123520-X2.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	615745
    Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; December 30, 2018, 12:40 PM. Reason: Edited to add a picture now that they are in the smoker

Actually, you might want to keep the membrane on - keeps the ribs from falling apart. And you might want to consider giving yourself 8 hours for the cook, just in case you need it.

Comment

My experience with beef ribs is you pull the membrane and there is still another piece of skin or membrane that holds the ribs together. That first membrane is much more of a battle to get off than with pork ribs.

I cook by the pull back and I still use the bend test like I do with baby loin backs. Beans underneath is a good call and cook until done. Let us know how it goes.!

Comment

Perhaps find the thickest part of the rib and probe there, Just in case. Gives you an idea at least. And then try with a thermopop at some point and compare the temps to see if you are getting good readings. I’m not sure how much different a chef alarm probe is to the Fireboard, but maybe others can help there too.

I love the the Oak Ridge black ops rub, but if you are doing that for the brisket, maybe use Big Bad Beef Rub so you get some different flavors back to back days. You mentioned having enough for the brisket, so this would ensure you do really.

But like EdF mentioned, give yourself more time. You can always hold in foil longer if needed. I don’t have my notebook with me, so can’t look, but I think my Dino ribs always took longer than 6 hours.

But enjoy those Things! You are in for a treat!

Comment

I think you have a good plan, my only suggestion is to save your Black Ops for the brisket and make up a batch of BBBR for the ribs.

Hehe, like barelfly said....

Comment

Last time I cooked them at 275 for 6 hours plus a couple hours wrapped in the cambro. Don’t pull the membrane. There’s definitely enough meat to use a temp probe. I treat them just like a small cut of brisket.

Comment

Yea I agree with all the comments. I leave the membrane on, it doesn't much matter though. I treat them just like brisket although I don't wrap, I just let them go until probe tender. There's so much fat content that they never seem to stall on me so what the heck. I do suggest letting them rest in a cambro as well, at least an hour just like you would a brisket. And finally, ditch the seasoning, just salt brine overnight and hit them with a heavy dose of coarse ground pepper. It's simple and makes a great bark. Good luck and let's see some pix !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	rib 03.jpg Views:	2 Size:	786.4 KB ID:	615701Click image for larger version  Name:	beef ribs 06.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	615702Click image for larger version  Name:	beef ribs 11.jpg Views:	2 Size:	114.4 KB ID:	615703 Click image for larger version  Name:	beef ribs 10.jpg Views:	2 Size:	134.1 KB ID:	615704

Sorry also meant to add that yes 6 hours is about right for these but begin probing toward the end with your thermo pop, they will be like butter around the 200* mark but it varies. So giving yourself 8 hours total is a wise target time.
              Last edited by Troutman; December 30, 2018, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Oops! Well, I already pulled the membrane! lol That's what I've been doing for the last HOUR! lol

Most of it, anyways. Well, I better get them on the grill. I don't like BBBR, it's way too peppery for me, which is why I bought the Black Ops rub, to try on brisket. I did one a few months back that was a disaster, so I only have about half a bag left. Maybe I'll do some SPB and some ancho on these dinos. I better get them on... I'll probably be running short of time as it is, it's already noon! lol

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Originally posted by tRidiot View Post
                  Couple months ago I picked up a Prime brisket and Prime dino ribs from Costco and had to throw them out when I forgot and left them in the cooler without ice. It was a tragic day, throwing away $100 worth of amazing meat, but I had too much going on at the time and kept putting ice in the ice chest for a couple days (we don't have diddly for fridge room) and finally forgot one day.

So yesterday I used my Costco cash back certificate and bought them again - a 14lb Prime brisket and a double rack of dino ribs. I'm going to do the brisket on NYE for New Year's Day. I got up this morning hankering for brisket, and I've been re-reading the tutorial pages, watching videos and looking at brisket cooks here in The Pit, but I just don't have time to do it right today, so I'm going to do it Monday night. So today, I figure I can knock out those 2 plates of dinos in about 6 hours or thereabouts, but I've never really done these before. So I'm open to ideas...

Right now I'm going to salt them and let them sit for an hour or so, I'll check back. My plan is probably to use Oak Ridge Black Ops rub, unless I'm too short on it (have about half a bag) and need to save all of it for my brisket tomorrow night.

Probably make some beans to pan underneath the ribs to catch drippings. Those shouldn't be on there for 6 hours though, right? Timing this is a little new for me, I usually just cook the meat on the smoker (Yoder YS480). I figure maybe throw the beans on a couple hours in, since that's when the fat will start rendering the most, anyways, right? I don't want the beans to turn to mush from being cooked too long.

Any specific tips on the ribs, besides pulling off the membrane? I have a Fireboard, but the probes are thick and I don't think I will get good, accurate readings on the ribs trying to fit them in-between the bones, right? I never worry about temps on my pork ribs, but again, beef ribs are new to me.

Should I just use my instant-read Thermopops, or go by feel from the meat pulling back from the bones, or what?
                  I'm basically doing the same cook on the same grill:

Beef Finger ribs from HEB. Thawed/salted on 12/29. Split into 2 or 3 rib pieces. Seasoned with oil, Big Bad Beef Rub and a little MSG 12/30. Warming up smoker at 350. BBQ'rs Delight Hickory pellets. Reduced temp to 225 when loading smoker. Pulled them just shy of 6 hrs. when they were probe tender. Tasted really good. https://photos.app.goo.gl/QLi1ZcnxSc6cMnrt9

Comment

Bone side down, I'm assuming?

Comment

Originally posted by tRidiot View Post
                      Bone side down, I'm assuming?
                      Yes.

Comment

Got 'em on. I just sprinkled with pepper, granulated garlic, smoked paprika and some chipotle powder. I salted them well and had that sit about 30 minutes prior, not enough, I know, but it is what it is. Now that I think about it, maybe a little cumin might be a good addition....

I'm running them at 275 on the top rack of my Yoder, since I've got about 6.5-7 hours before I told people it'll be time to eat. lol. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll be able to rest them a short while.

Comment

I have never received a negative comment using this recipe. We actually made these on Thanksgiving instead of turkey...lol.

Here’s the video/recipe:
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
                            Troutman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'll bet they are tasty but a little heavy on the mopping for me, especially Parkay every 30 minutes...yuck. I like to taste the meat not the junk.

• rwalters
                            rwalters commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Oops,I guess I should mention...I don’t use Parkay in the recipe. Details are important...lol. I actually spritz w/ 50/50 ACV/Apple juice until the last two hours, then I start mopping w/ the maple/bourbon glaze for a total of 3 times. It’s like candied beef, but you definitely taste the beef. Maybe not for everyone, but I’ve never not seen soneone clean the bone

• Troutman
                            Troutman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I've used a bourbon/sweet glaze before...totally awesome !!

Running at 275* you will be done a bit quicker. I have only cooked at 225 so I would expect 6 hours.

enjoy!

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                            Editing a comment
                            3 hours in, I just probed them and they are running 177-181 throughout. Well pulled back from the bone and looking like they should be DONE in about an hour, hour and a half! Wow! I am going to turn the temp down a bit...

Do plate "Dino Ribs" cook longer on the east coast?🤔. I have never had plate ribs take any less than 8hrs. I have gone anywhere from 225*-275*. Maybe the laws of physics are different over here. 😁. As I also see that EdF is the only other one who needs more time for this cook being in NJ.
                          Not that I’ve tried it before but I friend of mine on IG cooks his dino ribs meat side down. Says it gives it much better bark. Something I will try. And do a side by side test. One up and one down.

Anyway good luck with your cook and show us some pics. 👍👍👍

Comment

• Troutman
                            Troutman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I routinely cook them on my pellet cooker at about 250* and they get probe tender at about 6 hours, give or take. I then rest for about 1 hour, sometimes 2. So total 7-8 hours.

And this may matter, I don't cook whole plates. I either go in twos or single, I generally buy 3 bone rib plates. If I buy 4 bone chuck rib plates it's two and two.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here