Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Beef dino ribs today - suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EdF
    replied
    Actually, you might want to keep the membrane on - keeps the ribs from falling apart. And you might want to consider giving yourself 8 hours for the cook, just in case you need it.

Leave a comment:

• tRidiot
    started a topic Beef dino ribs today - suggestions?

Beef dino ribs today - suggestions?

Couple months ago I picked up a Prime brisket and Prime dino ribs from Costco and had to throw them out when I forgot and left them in the cooler without ice. It was a tragic day, throwing away $100 worth of amazing meat, but I had too much going on at the time and kept putting ice in the ice chest for a couple days (we don't have diddly for fridge room) and finally forgot one day.

So yesterday I used my Costco cash back certificate and bought them again - a 14lb Prime brisket and a double rack of dino ribs. I'm going to do the brisket on NYE for New Year's Day. I got up this morning hankering for brisket, and I've been re-reading the tutorial pages, watching videos and looking at brisket cooks here in The Pit, but I just don't have time to do it right today, so I'm going to do it Monday night. So today, I figure I can knock out those 2 plates of dinos in about 6 hours or thereabouts, but I've never really done these before. So I'm open to ideas...

Right now I'm going to salt them and let them sit for an hour or so, I'll check back. My plan is probably to use Oak Ridge Black Ops rub, unless I'm too short on it (have about half a bag) and need to save all of it for my brisket tomorrow night.

Probably make some beans to pan underneath the ribs to catch drippings. Those shouldn't be on there for 6 hours though, right? Timing this is a little new for me, I usually just cook the meat on the smoker (Yoder YS480). I figure maybe throw the beans on a couple hours in, since that's when the fat will start rendering the most, anyways, right? I don't want the beans to turn to mush from being cooked too long.

Any specific tips on the ribs, besides pulling off the membrane? I have a Fireboard, but the probes are thick and I don't think I will get good, accurate readings on the ribs trying to fit them in-between the bones, right? I never worry about temps on my pork ribs, but again, beef ribs are new to me.

Should I just use my instant-read Thermopops, or go by feel from the meat pulling back from the bones, or what?

<edit>
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20181230_123520-X2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	615745
    Last edited by tRidiot; December 30, 2018, 12:40 PM. Reason: Edited to add a picture now that they are in the smoker

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Meat-Up in Memphis