Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket butchered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket butchered

I picked up a prime brisket at Costco to make for the family. A full packer. This is the second brisket I’ve done, and like the first, I trimmed the fat and "separated" the flat from the point. I say "separated" because I didn’t seem to have improved my knife work since the first brisket. They weren’t really separated. It looks so easy: just follow the fat seam and work between the muscles. I ended up with parts of the flat on the point and vise versa. It was pretty sad. Next time I’m leaving it alone in one piece; only trimming. In the end, it turned out great and everyone loved it. Once I sliced it you couldn’t tell it was a hack job.

End result - happy eaters - winner.
    They say practice makes perfect - try and try again.

Comment

Keep up the good work!! I do not completely separate the point and flat, just enough to get the fat apart form the two to help get more rub on more meat. Then cook it whole and it separates very easy. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160422_215540.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	615533

Comment

It all gets eaten anyhow, there is no record of it other than the smiles. Keep cutting, or not. As long as it tastes good, it is all good.

Comment

I cook mine whole but have separated once or twice. Both times I did it when the internal temp was about 170 and they separated very easily.

Comment

Glad it tasted great! I really like reducing the fat between the point and flat. Makes nearly everything on the cutting board enjoyable for everyone

Comment

The solution is easy. Just buy a case of prime briskets and practice, practice, practice...

Comment

That’s the way my dad cut up Elk his thought was what wasn’t in this package would be in the next🤓

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here