Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Cook

My mom wanted a brisket for Christmas, so I manned up and got a 18lb prime packer from Costco. Was down to ~14lbs after I trimmed it up - seemed like a lot of fat, or maybe I trimmed it up too much. Anyway, I dry brined it with kosher salt on Saturday for a Christmas Eve cook. I had a couple of new toys to play with - a Party Q and the new secret santa instant read, so I was stoked. Set up the 18.5 WSM Monday at around 5PM, installed the Party Q, used KBB and 4 apple wood chunks from fruita wood (2 chunks buried in the coals, 2 on top of a full ring of coals). Took out enough coals to fill the chimney starter and lit em up. Used the minion method as usual, and filled the water pan with boiling water. I used the Maverick XR-50 to monitor temps and used MHs BBR rub (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...eef-rub-recipe), along with that awesome Texas BBQ Juice (https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...barbecue-juice).

I set up the party Q for 225, and got it rolling around 6PM on Christmas Eve. Of course, it wasn't quite that smooth. House full of people asking questions and giving advice, I had started getting in the spirit with some spirits, and I didn't take into account that fitting that hunk of meat on the 18.5 would be a challenge. It really was too big for the wsm, but I squeezed it in. Got my probes in and let her run. The party Q worked as advertised after awhile. When I first put the meat on, the XR-50 grate TC was reading 225, but the party Q was reading 215. I finally realized I had the probe clip too close to the meat and when I figured out a place for it (on the base of the grate handle - the meat was so big there wasn't any real estate), the two came into synch. To hold the temps, I had the top vents about 1/4 closed after some fiddling. I let it run until around midnight, when it was into the stall at 154, added a few coals through the door, and went to bed.

I got up at 6AM, 12 hours into the cook. The WSM was at 210 and the meat was at 175, so I fired up a full chimney and added it (I lift the wsm body off the bottom to do this). That is when I noticed that the party q deflector was pointed straight up instead of down to direct the air flow under the coals. When I installed it, I just tightened it finger tight instead of using a screwdriver. Plus, the batteries were about dead. I replaced the batteries, but with a load of hot coals, I couldn't tighten the deflector. I used a screwdriver to push it around so it wasn't pointing straight up, but that was the best I could do. I also added another quart or so of hot water to the pan. Spiked to 300, but settled down to 230 after about 30-45 min.

At 8:30, the meat was still at 175. The wsm was still running at 230. I was starting to get a little anxious. At 10:30, the meat was at 177. Almost panic - we needed to get on the road to Atlanta. So I did the smart thing - I wrapped it with a double layer of foil and a little of the BBQ juice and stuck it in the oven at 225. The coals in the wsm were getting low anyway. We got the car loaded and when I pulled it and cambroed it at around noon, it was at 205 and the probe went in like it was butter. Got to Atlanta and ate at around 5. The brisket was still hot, and it was excellent. Best I have cooked. Great bark. No pics, cause there was a house full of people standing around waiting for me to cut and serve. The Texas Juice was a hit to. My only problem was that I didn't develop much of a smoke ring.

A couple of lessons learned - check the brisket size first, and make sure the party q is set up right. And maybe try hot and fast - 18 hours is a long time.

Nice improvisation and recovery!

Comment

Great adventure, an write up, Brother!

Yer powers of deduction, an observation salvaged a Family Christmas Gatherin! That, in itself, is a Major Accomplishment!

Many thanks fer sharin this, with us! I very much enjoyed!

Comment

Sounds like you did just fine. You recovered just right when the cook threw a couple of curves at you. Believe me no brisket cook is ever quite the same so you have to be light on your feet. You mastered it, not letting it master you !!!

I suggest cutting off the thin front end of the flat on your packer for grind or even pastrami. That way it fits your WSM. I can’t believe you got it on there to begin with !!!

And next time, let’s have some pix my man !!!

Comment

As long as it wound up tasty and juicy, ya done good. The mark of a Pitmaster is being able to overcome difficulties.

Comment

Great recovery, and the meatbsounds like it was great.

Comment

Great interpretation of your cook.
              Found myself in similar situation and on advice from good folks around here cranked the heat up to 300F to speed up cook and all turned out good.

Comment

Sounds like you did what you could, great on-the-fly adaptation and recovery! Experienced Pit Master!

Comment

Brisket is the hardest. You handled that perfectly! Congrats on a great cook!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Thanks. This site has me doing things I never had the confidence to try. I got to get better with the pics though.

Comment

Great write up! Do you think you know why the bark wasnt up to your liking? Im looking at BBQGuru fans myself. Happy New Year!

Comment

• klflowers
                          klflowers commented
                          Editing a comment
                          kranknhank, the bark was great. I just didn't get that pink smoke ring in the meat. I think it was because I only used 4 relatively small chunks of wood. The party Q worked as advertised - except for the fact that I didn't tighten the deflector enough.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here