Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Process or raw material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Process or raw material?

Yesterday I sous vide a choice+ 2" ribeye (frozen) for 3 hrs @ 129° and reversed seared w/butter in an oven preheated CI skillet @ 450°. The crust was great and the center was a perfect medium rare. But, the vein (grizzle) was very noticeable. Otherwise, the steak was perfect. How can I improve on this cook? That is, reduce the amount of grizzle.

Are talking about grizzle or fat?
    My thoughts are it might just have been that piticular cut of meat.
    Doesn't sound like anything you did at all. Your approach is spot on.

Comment

Definitely grizzle!

Comment

If you can find prime rather than choice, the meat will be a bit better. Does cost a bit more though.

Comment

I was afraid of that. My butcher (of 38 years) only carries choice on a regular basis. I guess I will have to change my source of supply.

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            I dont know that you need to go that far. Id more suspect that the culprit was that particular steak and not choice beef in general.

As i understand it, gristle is made up of mostly elastin, not collagen, and will not render down when cooking so perhaps it was not a great cut?

On top of that, its tough to render a lot of fat in my experience at 129 degrees although you may have overcome that with the 3 hour cook. Quite honestly sous vide is not my favorite tool for steak because while you can achieve that perfect medium rare throughout, i usually find the fat is not as melty delicious as a good reverse or forward sear method.

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            I used to do mostly reverse sear but now im doing more what some folks here refer to as forward sear. Basically do the sear up front then low and slow it to the desired internal temp. I think this is more of a personal thing but ive found it easier to not accidentally overshoot the internal this way.

I fully submit to the idea of to each their own. I personally prefer a steak done that way, but im sure many folks get great results and thats their preference with sous vide.

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, dont take my words for gospel. There are many many much more experienced cooks here than me. Honestly there could be something i am also doing wrong with sous vide hence why ive never had my desired results. Im sure more folk will weigh in.

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            h12mike here is a good article from kenji lopez on sous vide steak

Thanks, I had a long talk with the butcher today...

Comment

I tend to agree with the assessment that the cut of meat may be your problem, not the grade. Ribeyes are cut from the heart of the longissimus dorsi muscle as found in the rib section, a muscle that is largely non-working. Therefore finding gristle seems a bit unlikely, although I’m sure there may be a little. I generally don’t run into much of any either in prime or choice cuts.

Perhaps your butcher got into the chuck end or conversely the loin end where gristle is a little more likely to be found. Bottom line just caulk it up to a bad steak, get some more and try again. Sous vide steaks are great and your method seems sound enough to me.

Comment

I just had a great strip steak at a new steakhouse, J2s in Lewisville,TX. One of the best I ever had! It was a perfect medium rare with an awesome sear. If only I could replicate their sear. At $75 per person, I really need to perfect my methods.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here