Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket on Weber 22"/Slow n Sear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket on Weber 22"/Slow n Sear?

Going to do a brisket on new years day on my weber kettle with the slow n sear. I've done a number of pork butts there, but first brisket (not sure the weight. haven't bought it yet).

Any advice? No rub, will just do kosher and 16 mesh black pepper. No injections either - i want to let the smoke and beef shine.

Most likely you will need to load the SNS up with more charcoal once or twice during the cook. When you do that just take a piece of foil or cookie sheet to place over the brisket. When you stir the coals to knock down the ash it will keep it off the brisket. Learned that one the hard way.

Other than that just cook it until it is finished. Don't be surprised if it takes 16+ hours. But also don't be surprised if it takes 10.

Comment

My biggest advice is about prep and knowing when it's done. Those things don't really depend on the cooker type :-)

I totally agree with you .... no injections and just kosher salt and coarse pepper. Granulated garlic isn't bad, but not necessary.

1. Dry brine that brisket ..... give it a good 24 hours in the fridge. It makes a huge difference.
      2. Take brisket from fridge to counter, give it the rest of your rub (just pepper, it sounds like) and then straight to the weber.
      3. It's going to stall, it's okay.
      4. At 250F grate temp, depending on size and meat quality, that cook could go anywhere from 10-18 hours. My general rule is that a prime packer with a pre-trim weight of 15 lbs will take 14 hours. And I want it to rest in the faux cambro for at least 1 hour, plus I need 20 minutes to slice. And I need a buffer in case it runs long. I give myself 17 hours from starting the smoker until dinner is served.
      5. Prime brisket usually is done at a lower internal temp than choice. Something to be aware of. Done is measured by how the probe goes into the meat, not by the actual temp. Starting checking at 190F ..... but it might take all the way to 203F to be done. Most of my prime briskets are done with the thickest part of the flat has hit about 195F.

Have fun!

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice easy recepie!

• DanMancuso
        DanMancuso commented
        Editing a comment
        Good advice!

Agreed with ecowper on the technique. I just did a small one over Christmas on my 22" kettle at 275* and got it done in about 6 hours (about 5.5#). Luckily I didn't have to reload any fuel but it was on its last legs. Not sure I could fit a 14-16# full packer on my 22", if you have a 26" then no problem. You might want to do some quick measuring before committing. Good luck !!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        That's true .... a 15lb packer fits on the WSM 22.5 just fine, but probably be difficult, or impossible, on a Weber 22 plus SnS

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep a 15 will fit. Bigger will not without trimming. I usually get them in the 14-19lb range. I do have to sometimes trim off part of the flat and find other uses for that (which isn’t difficult).

Turns out the pk360 has roughly the same size limitation as the 22” kettle.

I will likely do a small one - it is just my wife and I. we want some leftovers, but I don't need to overdo it.

thanks for the tips.

Comment

Costco has some nice smallish brisket flats. You can also find 20lb whole packers but way more then you're looking for. Have fun. Don't think to hard. All you need is here.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          A 20lb packer just means more brisket for more, different leftovers ... hash, chili, Texas beans, etc :-)

Do it like you would on any other cooker, or like you would a pork butt on the kettle/SnS. I have a 6lb flat on mine as we speak. I cook flats the same length of time, roughly, as a packer. 10-12hrs total, including hold time of ~2hrs, at 225-250.

I've fit a 14lb packer on my 22" w/ SnS. Not much room to spare initially, but they shrink as you cook. Worked great. Some packers may be longer than others, and this may have been a stubby one, hard to say exactly.

This was when I was testing the SnS prototype and writing the recipe/instructions for it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket on 22 kettle.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.69 MB ID:	614554

Comment

• scotte303
          scotte303 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Huskee, would youhappen to have your recipe for the flat Brisket handy?

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          It's on abcbarbecue.com. It's essentially Meathead's main process for brisket in his article just adapted specifically to the kettle+SnS scotte303

I’d suggest if you can get a whole brisket do that instead of just a flat cut. The point side is worth it, even if you have to trim some of the flat end and use it for sausage or chili etc.

I’d probably do multiple point only cuts if that’s all I could find vs flats, but that’s just me.

Comment

Im doing a 14 pre trim again on a 22 kettle with SnS next week. It did take 18 hours this summer. I kept it on during two hours of stall to improve the bark then I wrapped. pulled at 203 faux cambro 1.5 then showtime!

Comment

Here’s a pick of a 14#, pre trimming, packer on a 22” kettle w/SnS. I haven’t tried anything over 14# on it.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	E060D668-1841-4857-B06D-3063A6491AE8.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.12 MB ID:	615993
            Last edited by Red Man; December 31, 2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

got an entire packer from costco. ~ 11#. I took some pictures and will move them over to the computer to post tomorrow. It is resting now. took about 10 hours at 250-275. Decent bark, I'd say.

I will post pics and flavor update tomorrow!

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                10 hours is about right .... I just cooked a 12.5 lb packer (pre-trim weight), ran the cooker at 250 +/- ..... cook ran from 6:20 AM to 4:05 PM .... 10 hours, almost dead on.

Hope the outcome was everything you hoped for, looking forward to the update!

Turned out perfectly. Best I've made so far. Bark was about perfect - nice and peppery. Softened up just right with the rest in the butcher paper.

Once i got the color (first) i wrapped in butcher paper for it to finish. That was at about 6 hours or so. Put wrapped brisket into a cooler to rest. Rested like 4 hours before we ate, but it was still warm and sliced beautifully.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg
Views:	1775
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	618477Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1298.jpg
Views:	1774
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	618478

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                parkerj2 Glad to hear it. I stressed a LOT about making my first brisket, after spending many years making ribs and butts. Turns out it's really not that different, and if you treat it right, wrapping like you did, it won't dry out either.

• parkerj2
                parkerj2 commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris yeah you're right - it wasn't my first brisket - just my first in the weber. I did one in an old bradley electric i had and didn't live up to what i'd wanted (IMO just the lack of wood and coals).

I have in-laws in TX and i hear people laugh at the wrap. Well, Franklin does it and he won a James Beard award. (i've been there....absolutely UNREAL bite of food. just a bite of heaven)

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                parkerj2 I've only had Texas brisket at Hard Eight BBQ in Dallas near the airport, and I know that's nothing like Franklin's, but it inspired me to do my own when I got back to Alabama. I did my first on my antique offset, and it was epic. Since I've done them on my Weber with the SNS, as it is more hands off.

I would rather wrap and have softer bark and moist brisket, than risk dried out flat by not wrapping.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here