Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flank Steak Initial Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flank Steak Initial Experience

While waiting for my Weber kettle to arrive, I decided to do one last cook on my vintage grill. I wanted to do something that only required direct heat, so I picked up two flank steaks. About five hours prior to cooking, I dry-brined them with kosher salt.

As flank steak tapers off in thickness, I cut each steak in half to have more uniform sizes (two thicker ones and two thinner ones).

I put one weber charcoal chimney's worth of coals in the grill. I did about three minutes per side, rotating the steaks a quarter-turn every 30 seconds or so.

My results were all over the map. Two steaks turned out medium-well, one turned out a lovely medium, and the other had a pocket of rare right in the middle (obviously, the thicker steak). Also, it has been a very long time since I've cooked flank steak. I had forgotten just how tough this meat can be, even slicing against the grain and as thinly as possible.

I learned a few things:
    - After one opens the lid to the grill to start, the charcoal will get much hotter due to the increase in available oxygen. This sounds so obvious, but I hadn't put two and two together until now. After pre-heating the grill for 10 minutes and just opening it up, I could use my tongs without gloves. But just a few minutes later, wow, I had to wear my gloves. The temperature increase with an open grill surprised me.
    - I need a better instant-read thermometer. I have a Weber one and it works....but there is no backlight and it can take 6-9 seconds to stabilize on a reading. May pick up the popular Thermopop.

The main problem I had with the larger steaks is that by the time I got the center to 135, the outside was charred, even with me flipping every minute or so. I wonder how much of this has to do with them going directly from a 35 degree refrigerator to the grill. I know Meathead advises that one does not need to have meat warm up before grilling it; in fact, cold me attracts smoke better. But what is cold? Was I too cold?

And it may just be that the larger parts of these flank steaks really could have been better done indirect then finished with a reverse sear. Although I am not sure I'll do flank steaks again for a while....they were tough. Tasty, but tough.

(I paired them with some roasted bell peppers, poblanos, and jalapeños. Those were good, especially the poblanos.)

And one last safety note....I have the G&F suede gloves. They are very nice; far, far better than oven mitts. I learned this evening that they are heat-resistant, not heat proof. One of my jalapeños fell through the grill grate, so I decided to retrieve it by lifting the grate. For about seven seconds or so I was fine....then OUCH. I have a nice little burn on my finger. Lesson learned!

--Michael

When I am searing or cooking thin protein, I flip about every 30 seconds. The reverse sear technique was designed for stuff ~ 1.5" thick or thicker. It does work on thinner meats, but can get away from you if you are not careful.
    Everything I grill goes straight from the refrigerator, (~38*), to the grill.

Comment

Yummy Flank Steak! I believe with flank, all you can do is minimize the toughness through marinating, cooking, and cutting. One of my most favorite cuts. I too cut mine into proper cutting sizes so I can cut across the grain at serving. I treat each piece differently on the coals. Whatever each piece needs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	614197

Comment

I do need to revisit this at some point. After all, I do like fajitas!

I'll try the technique of flipping more. I need to research up on wet brines for fajitas and see how much that will mitigate the toughness.

I re-read Meathead's article on going directly from the refrigerator to the grill (https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...m-temp-cooking) and it doesn't look like that was my problem, but rather that I wasn't being the human rotisserie well enough.

--Michael

Comment

Sous vide and sear for flank.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here