Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot and quick Christmas Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot and quick Christmas Brisket

At the prompting of a very good friend, I researched Harry Soo and T-Roy cooks hot and fast method for brisket. The claims were quite shocking: Excellent competition-quality brisket in 5 hours or so.

I picked up an 11 pound packer at Costco. Christmas eve I rubbed with salt, pepper, and celery seed. 10AM christmas morning I fired up the WSM 22.5, about a bag of coals total, 3/4 chimney to start with the rest set up in the bottom with cherry chunks randomly dispersed in the charcoal briquets. 10:30 AM, Brisket on, pit at 400 F plus a couple, fat cap down, no water pan in the WSM, ambient temp 28F. 12:15 brisket at 160, pull off to wrap (added some red wine in the wrap) and cool the pit. Back on the pit at 12:50, pit temp about 250, held until 4:30 when brisket pulled at 206 F, with great tenderness. Stuck in faux cambro until supper at 6. Boy howdy, this is some kinda brisket. I very much recommend this over getting a fire going at 3AM, tender, juicy, everything one would want in a brisket. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	613462Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0801.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	613463 Pics are brisket prior to wrap, and after slicing.

Cheers!

As I say lifes to short to cook at 225f. I cook all mine at 285-325f and dont worry about temp fluctuations. This was cooked christmas eve on a stick burner in 5 hours without even adjusting the air intake.
    Attached Files

Comment

My very limited brisket experience is also hot and fast. I have a feeling I may never do it any other way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_79638.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	613482

Comment

I've got 2 Double R Ranch choice briskets and one SRF black grade brisket in the freezer. I usually run around 250 normally for everything briskets included. I don't worry about temp flucuations high or low because I figure itaverages out but I may have to try one of the Double R's at average 280 or so. Be nice to shave a few hours off a brisket time if I'm not sacrificing any bark or flavor.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          You may as well go hotter if you're looking to experiment and compare.

That does look good enough to eat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here