Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime rib in two parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime rib in two parts

A story of 12 lb prime prime rib, 2 5 lb prime prime ribs. The 12 lber and one 12 lber have their ribs removed. These are salted and dry brined 24 hours and sous vided 24 hours at 150. Next a generous coating of Big Bad Beef rub and they are on at 220 for 6 hours. Probably way too long as they are already Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2232.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	612611 tender so we may have to eat them before hand....

The smaller roast with the bones is cut into cowboy steaks. The other small roast without bones cut into ribeyes. Fat trimmed from the original 12 lb roast, salted and tied and into sous vide at 129F for 7 hours. Will then remove, pat dry and cover with Mrs's O'leary's before a 500F blast in the oven. Maybe not the live fire approach but that's today's plan. More pics to come.

Nice! Merry Christmas!

Comment

Well, the ribs got darker than that but everyone wanted a nibble so they went inside and disappeared. I recall there being fat and meat on them when I put them in the sous vide and there wasn't much fat in the very small amount of liquid I drained from the bag...so either a lot of it cooked off in the smoking process (and the aluminum foil underneath suggests otherwise) or it crisped up and everyone ate it. That's my guess.

Dinner is not till four so I will sous vide till 3 and check the internal temp.... and let it rest until I am ready to coat it and blast it. If for some reason I am not to 129 I guess I can rub it and put it in the yoder (out of the bag) at 225 for a bit. Man those ribs were good.

Comment

Almost 10 minutes a side under the 500F oven and it got a nice bark without invading too deep. There was so little juice in the sous vide bag but once I put it on the board for a few minutes and began slicing the juices were really running--- in other words they mainly stayed inside! I wish I had taken some pics of how beautifully wall to wall pink the insides were but once I started slicing I didn't get to stop till I had plated 21 consumers of various ages from 3 to 87. I did weigh the leftovers. 8 ounces.

Now I am looking forward to those steaks I cut! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2238.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	612883

Comment

Congrats on a great cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here